The Big Boys are Dukeing it Out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT2sum

Reaction score
I just saw this, kinda funny, the poor babies are both losing market share - 'bout time they admitted it!

MillerCoors sues Anheuser-Busch over corn syrup ads
https://www.foxbusiness.com/media/millercoors-sues-anheuser-busch-over-corn-syrup-ads

Chicago-based MillerCoors and Anheuser-Busch have the biggest U.S. market share at 24.8 percent and 41.6 percent, respectively, but they've been losing business in recent years to smaller independent brewers, imports, and wine and spirits, according to the Brewers Association.

:bravo:
I don't think they're accounting for homebrewers that are tired of their "Yellow Fizzy Stuff!" :rock::ban:

MillerCoors sues Anheuser-Busch over corn syrup ads
Because corn syrup is so much worse than Rice Syrup?

Miller-Coors should talk about how much more Murican there beer is because corn is Murica. Maybe start a whole east coast west coast brew war like Tupac and Biggie. We can call it TurdPac and DeerPee Crap Battles.

To no one's surprise, they're in the marketing game, not brewing. I hope they eat each other.

The whole "brewed without corn syrup" thing plays on the public's general misunderstanding that corn syrup = high fructose corn syrup = insta-death. They're overlooking the savvy contingent (like us) that know better, since it's a fraction of a percent of the population.

I hope they eat each other.
The whole "brewed without corn syrup" thing plays on the public's general misunderstanding that corn syrup = high fructose corn syrup = insta-death.

Yeah, like they don't use corn syrup themselves ....
Bud Light is brewed with rice instead of corn syrup, but Anheuser-Busch uses corn syrup in some of its other beers, including Stella Artois Cidre and Busch Light.

I think it's pretty amusing and ironic Big Beer pokes fun at The Rabble, but if a competitor tries to alter the perceptions of The Rabble to affect profit margins, it's time to sue. There was a time when I had absolutely no frickin' clue what lagering was when it was mentioned within the context of a beer ad. I only knew it had something to do with chilling a beer that made it better and if one brand wasn't a lager, the quality might be suspect.
Learning to BYO was such a gift. It actually creates a better informed consumer.

Thought: isn't corn or rice syrup basically the same thing as extract? They are still using barley as the base, just adding more fermentable (and cheaper) sugar to lighten it up. I've drank more than my share of both BMC and Miller/Coors in my lifetime, but couldn't tell you from a blind test which one uses rice or corn. They're both bland, although I do prefer Coors products to Bud. Dunno why.

Thought: isn't corn or rice syrup basically the same thing as extract? They are still using barley as the base, just adding more fermentable (and cheaper) sugar to lighten it up. I've drank more than my share of both BMC and Miller/Coors in my lifetime, but couldn't tell you from a blind test which one uses rice or corn. They're both bland, although I do prefer Coors products to Bud. Dunno why.
#Me too. Are you also getting a hint of banana from coors? I think it might be brewed by monkeys.

#Me too. Are you also getting a hint of banana from coors? I think it might be brewed by monkeys.

I've noticed that too, especially if it's ice cold draft, and it's not unpleasant. Only CL though, the Banquet doesn't have it, at least to me. Hmmm...maybe I should try making Yooper's Fizzy yellow beer with a split of Ale & Hefe yeast? Hmmmmm......

I've noticed that too, especially if it's ice cold draft, and it's not unpleasant. Only CL though, the Banquet doesn't have it, at least to me. Hmmm...maybe I should try making Yooper's Fizzy yellow beer with a split of Ale & Hefe yeast? Hmmmmm......
I'm going to be a cream ale next week, I hope for no banana though...

... Although I actually enjoy a cold CL from time to time ....

....there you go, I said it.

In this blind taste test, done about a year ago, the top 5 out of 30 Light American lagers were all either Miller brands or were brewed by MillerCoors. (TL;DR, the top 5, from 1st to 5th, were Hamm's, PBR, Miller High Life, MGD, and Miller Lite).

The most popular brand in America by a wide margin, Bud Light, finished 22nd out of 30. Only a single data point, but the panel of testers were at least a group who knew something about beer.

Thought: isn't corn or rice syrup basically the same thing as extract? They are still using barley as the base, just adding more fermentable (and cheaper) sugar to lighten it up.why.

Not exactly .Malt extract has no rice syrup or corn syrup. Its basically concentrated or dehydrated wort.

Not that I have an issue with rice or corn because I love making a batch of Cream of 3 Crops.

Yeah, like they don't use corn syrup themselves ....
I find their whole pissing match quite contradictory. I wish I had taken a picture but there is a Busch Light billboard on the edge of Sidney, NE that reads something to the effect of “Buschhhhhhh Light— Proudly brewed with corn from America’s heartland”. I’ve drank more Busch light than I care to admit and agree that nobody can probably taste a difference between the rice or corn adjuncts.

Well said Miraculix. I belong to a gun club that has a club house with a bar that serves nothing fancier than Bud and Labatt's Blue, in fact many of the patrons think Keystone Light is a fine brew. We can't always have craft type beer in the bar we may be in. That being said let the big boys beat each others brains out.

Well said Miraculix. I belong to a gun club that has a club house with a bar that serves nothing fancier than Bud and Labatt's Blue, in fact many of the patrons think Keystone Light is a fine brew. We can't always have craft type beer in the bar we may be in. That being said let the big boys beat each others brains out.
I wish I could join a gun club in this country.... Not possible.

A gun club with a bar doesn't seem like a wise idea regardless of the beer served. Or am I missing something?

A gun club with a bar doesn't seem like a wise idea regardless of the beer served. Or am I missing something?
I've actually been to a few gun clubs which had bars, or at least served beer. In a setting where everyone is armed everyone tends to be quite well behaved, at least in my experience.

No one is pounding beers and shooting, just the opposite. Trap and skeet are shot and afterwards the guns are put away and a few beers are drank. This is small town, country folk upstate NY, everyone looks out for everyone.

In this blind taste test, done about a year ago, the top 5 out of 30 Light American lagers were all either Miller brands or were brewed by MillerCoors. (TL;DR, the top 5, from 1st to 5th, were Hamm's, PBR, Miller High Life, MGD, and Miller Lite).

The most popular brand in America by a wide margin, Bud Light, finished 22nd out of 30. Only a single data point, but the panel of testers were at least a group who knew something about beer.

Made me pick up a case of Hamm's. Cheaper than the rest.

Back