The Best Fining Agents

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppedupDad

Reaction score
So I have some questions about fining substances.
I made an AG batch of brown ale and it cleared up pretty nicely. Do you need to use gelatin and/or other fining agents to clear up your homebrew.
If so what are the best ones to use and when should they be added I know every brewer does things different (somewhat). But I am curious.
I used gelatin in a batch of Yooper's AG Cream Ale and I know it has only been in primary for about 10 days I see no difference. Am I too impatient?

Suggestions , comments and the like would be cool

I use gelatin. But I don't use it til I get to the keg. I know some people who keg will use it in the secondary and rack off the gunk (but I've heard gelatin works better when the beer is cold). But I usually just do a primary, then rack into a keg, put the keg in the fridge to cool it down, then add the gelatin. 4-5 days later, I pour a pint or 2 off and the rest is running crystal clear, then I carbonate. Some may say I can carbonate while the gelatin does its thing, but I've got my way and it works.

If you bottle I'm nt sure when to do it. Not sure if the gelatin pulls out any needed yeast to carbonate the bottles. So someone else may be of better assistance. Though I would tell you to wait and add the gelatin after fermentation is complete, bc things will keep churning and you'll probably need to do so again.

Yeah I have not got into kegging yet that is gonna be a whole other series of threads. :eek:

Thanks for the help.

saw in a video somewhere Youtube probably to add the gelatin at the end of the boil which I did and the fermentation was good. Just wait and see I guess...

Latest posts

Back