The best dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mk010101

Reaction score
What brand, if any, is considered the best dry yeast brand to use? I am trying to replace the yeast that is "under the lid" of a beer kit.

A lot of places carry the dry version of Wyeast's 1056 (american ale). It's called SafAle or something like that.

It's a pretty clean tasting yeast and gets the job done very well. I use it often.

-walker

Well, I dont know about the best but I use alot of Nottingham, which gives me about 75% attenuation and a clean finish so you can taste your malts. It also gives you a pretty firm yeast cake. It will ferement well from 57F to 70F which is a WIDE range. I have also heard great things about Safale US-56, it is pretty popular. Depends on your taste, I have used Windsor, which works well, the yeast isnt very flocculant and it gives alot more estery flavors. I have personally never used a liquid!

Brewpilot

I use Nottingham & safale S-56 most of the time. I also use Windsor and safale S-04. If the supplied yeast is Munton's or Cooper's, they do better when you are putting cane sugar in the wort.

Nottingham is my favorite.

Dried yeasts

I use liquid yeasts about 10% of the time.

I've used both Nottingham and Safeale-56 with good results. I rarely use liquid yeast, it is almost always one or the other of those.

I've used Nottinghams and some of Muntons. The muntons seem to fermet a lot quicker but this could be due to me learning better techniques.

How does Danstar compare? It's what my lhbs uses in the kits that they make up. I haven't had any problems with it, so I'm just wondering how it compares to some of the other dry yeasts out there.

EDIT: Never mind. I just realized Nottingham and Windsor ARE Danstar yeasts.

I have used a fair bit of Nottingham with great success. Recently been trying the S-04, great yeast IMO. I have S-189 and US-56 on order. I have used the S-23 for a few lagers and find it OK. I do use mostly liquid yeast, but have turned to dry yeast for a trial run.

I use the dry yeast because it is cheap, and my beer flies off the shelf fast enough, I dont want it to taste any better... not at all. Nottingham rocks, had a GREAT yeast cake from my last brew, wish I'd had time to brew another batch and siphon it on top of it.

Brewpilot

Walker-san said:
A lot of places carry the dry version of Wyeast's 1056 (american ale). It's called SafAle or something like that.

It's a pretty clean tasting yeast and gets the job done very well. I use it often.

-walker
I used this for my pumpkin ale and it worked great. Maybe too great. It attenuated out so well that it converted the maple syrup I put in the wort to alcohol and it's character can't be noticed in the beer. Other than that I'm extremely satisfied with it. Made a very clean tasty beer.

RichBrewer said:
I used this for my pumpkin ale and it worked great. Maybe too great. It attenuated out so well that it converted the maple syrup I put in the wort to alcohol and it's character can't be noticed in the beer. Other than that I'm extremely satisfied with it. Made a very clean tasty beer.

You know, I think I used Safeale 56 on the beer that I did with maple syrup, as well. Absolutely zero residual maple character, a total waste of $$.

the_bird said:
You know, I think I used Safeale 56 on the beer that I did with maple syrup, as well. Absolutely zero residual maple character, a total waste of $$.

Don't be so sure that it's the yeast's fault guys. Maple is supposedly one of the more difficult flavors to achieve in the final product, regardless of the yeast used.

If you want maple flavor in your ale, track down some Grade B or C maple syrup. The grading system was setup when it was used as a general purpose sweetener. So the higher the grade (Fancy, A), the less flavor it has. I remember getting a Vermont treat for dessert, Extra Fancy syrup poured over snow. Tasted like frozen sugar-cubes, zero maple.

Nottingham is as neutral as a yeast can get. It doesn't change the flavors at all.

It was Grade B (c'mon, I'm a Vermonter, I know that... :D)

I didn't use enough, I'm sure, but that gets REALLY expensive really quickly. The beer was a failure on so many levels... :(

the_bird said:
It was Grade B (c'mon, I'm a Vermonter, I know that... :D)

I didn't use enough, I'm sure, but that gets REALLY expensive really quickly. The beer was a failure on so many levels... :(

Maple is for putting on pancakes and waffles, and the occasional ice-cream treat! Leave it out of your beer you crazy loon!

It was an early batch, I've decided to stick to beer-tastin' ingredients for the foreseeable future (other than an occasional batch for SWMBO).

ive used nottinghams but pretty much use "coopers brewers yeast" i think its a bit different than what comes in the cans, cause 1 its always fresh and it comes in 15 gm packs instead of the usual 7, i always get a hearty fermentation. I would like to try some liquid yeast some day...

It depends what you are brewing. US-56 is great for APAs and american IPAs. Safale-04 is all I use in my Imperial stout and would work good in most british ales. It has been a really long time since I used any other dry yeast: I usually use liquid.

Back