The benefits of liquid yeast over dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcjake

Reaction score
Other than being less fun to use are there benefits of liquid yeast (specifically wyeast activator packs) over dry yeast? Is it worth the extra $6.25?

You have a wider selection of strains with liquid yeast.
Personally, if there is a dry yeast available for what I want to brew, I'll almost always go with the cheaper alternative. I use liquid only when there isn't a good dry yeast out there for the flavor profile I am trying to achieve. So, I'll use Nottingham or US-05 for my American Ales, S-04 for my English brews, and liquid strains for my Koelsch and Witbiers... those cover about 90% of my needs.
I am trying to get back into washing my yeasts so that I can have a frozen yeast band of a variety of strains to save a few bucks and build up a small library of strains.

I gotta say we aren't really at the point where we are making serious decisions when it comes to yeast. We made an IPA so we used american ale yeast. We brewed a wheat so we used American Wheat Yeast. We are only on our third batch and are focused on honing in our technique. We did our first all grain batch two weeks ago and all our beer tastes great, so I would say we are advancing fast. But we are pretty ignorant about yeast selection at the time being. Should we just buy dry american ale yeast so we have a steady constant? Or should we be using liquid yeasts that match our beers more accurately (such as the american wheat) as we learn more about brewing?

If you want 2 cents from somebody who's not an expert...

At this stage in the game for you, I wouldn't worry about a liquid yeast. If you're truly trying to perfect your technique, chances are you're not making the best beer you will ever make (I'm not saying that in any way as a negative. It's just you're obviously going to get better the more you brew). Once you hone hitting your temps and your times and your numbers, the benefits of using such variety that liquid strains provide will really shine through. Until that time, dry yeast have gotten so good, you can make really great beer at home with them (as you have already proven!).

The exception to my suggestion would be if you were doing a specialty (a belgian or a wit for example). These styles are so reliant on their yeasts for their flavor profile that you just won't be able to get there with a dry strain. Safale does make a dry wheat yeast now that I've seen at my LHBS. I haven't tried it so I can't vouch for it - but it would seem that we get more dry yeast every day!!!

Long story short - I'd stick with the dry for now. When the time comes that you've got your technique nailed and you want to dive into liquid strains, don't hesitate. But that's me!

Would you consider a Kolsch something we cant get done with a regular american ale yeast?

Our last batch was our best yet and it was the first time we used liquid yeast. It was so good I'm scared to go back. But I hate that $6 premium we pay when I'm honestly not sure if it's making a difference for us.

I appreciate the input. Now it's time to think on it.

Would you consider a Kolsch something we cant get done with a regular american ale yeast?

Our last batch was our best yet and it was the first time we used liquid yeast. It was so good I'm scared to go back. But I hate that $6 premium we pay when I'm honestly not sure if it's making a difference for us.

Yes, a Kolsch MUST be done with Kolsch yeast. There are some styles you can get away with dry yeast. This just isn't one. Same for Bavarian Hefes, Saison, most other Belgian beers and the wide world of "wild" beer.

...Our last batch was our best yet and it was the first time we used liquid yeast. It was so good I'm scared to go back. But I hate that $6 premium we pay when I'm honestly not sure if it's making a difference for us.

Harvest your yeast cake at the bottom of your fermenter and you'll have enough for 5-6 more batches.

Properly executed, yeast (even premium liquid strains) can be the cheapest component of your brewing.

In answer to the original question, dry yeast will suffice for teh majority of beers (APA's, IPA's, Cream Ales, Milds, Ambers...etc...). Certain styles absolutely must have the correct strain for the right flavor (Belgian Strongs, hefe's, Wits...etc).

But I hate that $6 premium we pay...

If you want you can reuse the yeast many times (I think the say not to exceed six generations), some repitch the slurry, some favor "washing" the yeast. Done correctly, one purchase of liquid yeast could do many, many batches.

As always, pay mind to sanitation! I have simply repitched a third or so of the resultant slurry w/ excellent results.

Just for kicks...figure on repitching 1/3 of the cake...your $6 purchase could do:

1x3x3x3x3x3 = 243 batches, or 1215 gallons, or around 10,000 pints
or 2 1/2 cents per batch...that's fairly affordable

Koelsch can only be brewed with Koelsch yeast. If you use an American Ale yeast you get something along the lines of a Blonde Ale.

Back