The beer that wouldn't clear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atom

Reaction score
ever had a beer that just wouldn't clear? i have a belgian pale ale on tap now that is ugly as hell, but tastes fine. typically, a little haze is fine...but this is just murky. it's been in the keg (cold) for 3 weeks and has been hit with gelatin.

the weird part is, it was a 10 gallon split batch...the other half is super clear. the difference between the two: murky beer got a 2 oz DH and fermented with 3522. clear beer got no DH and fermented with 3711.

At this point the keg is half gone and i'm not that concerned, i just find it odd that it doesn't want to clear.

Dry hopped beers are high in polyphenols, which tend to bond to proteins and unfermented starch in the finished beer.

I've had this happen when I forgot to use Irish moss or whirlfloc and then dry hopped. The haze just didn't want to clear. But as you say it's just a cosmetic issue.

I saw the thread title & instantly thought Metallica. ...drain you of your beer...face the beer that would not clear-dun dun dun dun dah dah dun dah, dun dah...:rockin: :mug:

Back