The beer that refused to be brewed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raysmithtx

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The beer that refuses to be brewed. So, I decided to brew a Dunkels Weizen. Got the grains and yeast at my local LHBS and proceeded to build my starter. The stir plate stopped working about 6 hours later.

Put the starter in the refrigerator while waiting for a new stir plate to arrive (the old one had released it's magic smoke).

New stir plate came in, built the starter and I'm ready to brew 48 hours later.

During the brew (I BIAB) when I pulled out the bag after the mash I noticed it seemed lighter than it should. And the reason was that it had a huge hole in it and over 50% of the grain was now at the bottom of my kettle. I scooped out all I could and proceeded to boil. There was still a lot of grain in the kettle but there was not much else I could do. After the boil I got the great idea to drain the cooled wort into my fermenter through a hop sack. Well the hop sack filled up and clogged and I couldn't get it out of the fermentor. OK screw it, this batch is going down the drain.

The next week armed with a new batch of grain and yeast I built the starter and was ready for attempt #2. No problems with the starter this time. On brew day I added my water and turned the unit on (electric) and noticed that I didn't hear anything. I normally can hear when the element is heating. Well as it turns out the PID was bad and I had to order another one. Brew day was put on hold and the starter remained in the frig.

About 5 days later the PID came in and I replaced it and when tested, the element was coming on and I was ready to try attempt #3.

While the water was heating I pulled out my scale to measure and crush the grains... and the scale didn't work. It gave me an error message which the manual basically said it's an non-reparable error.

OK. Dump the water and order a new scale.

The new scale came in this morning. I'm going to try attempt #4 to brew this beer on Wednesday and I have to say if there's any other problems I'm gonna just give in to the beer gods obvious wishes that this beer not be brewed.

If it does get brewed I'm gonna name it Jinxed.

Don't let it win... Kick that beer's a$$ and pitch some starter yeast!

Fight the good (beer) fight.

Go! Fight! Win!!
I had a beer like this. Named the SOB "Gremlin". I second the backup yeast suggestion, btw, just out of personal experience.
Good luck!

I've had one of these as well, although they all got brewed....have tried on 3 occasions to do a Bear Republic Racer 5 clone. All three wound up with horrible off flavors (bandaid). I would write it off to bad water, but I had several other batches in the meantime that were perfect, using the same water. It's my bogey now.

Back