That smell...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect most females hate that smell. The three males in my house love it, and the two females think 'my sense of smell is broken.'

How could anyone hate the smell of the wort? My wife and kids love the malty sweet smell when extract brewing, they come out of nowhere and hang around, in the way. I don't mind the help, but kids under your feet while handling hot wort is no fun.

I will say...I'm brewing my first lager, and the primary is in the cold closet in my loft building's garage where it is in the low 50's. Today I popped the locker open to check on it, and WHEW.....Man alive. I have read noob panic threads about the sulfurious smells from lager yeast...and I know quite well the wonders of apfelwein Rhino Farts....But geez...The whole locker smelled like rotten eggs.

And of course I had to sniff the airlock....Co2, Bananas and Sulfer will knock you off your feet.

My beer's not ruined is it? :D

SWMBO will be coming back from riding one of her horses and the aroma of wort & hops will be wafting up the driveway. She thinks it smells wonderful.

I'm a lucky man.

I love the smell. A year ago when I first started brewing I thought the smell of wort was awful. I love the smell now. The first few batches we did were extract wort though. All grain smells wonderful.

First batch we brewed a year ago was extract, inside on the stove.
OMG the whole house smelled of wort. The women with us were freaking out!!!
I loved it...

Oh I gotta tell you the best smell combo...from this Sunday...

I was brewing a small stovetop AG batch, roasting Venison and baking bread all day.

Talk about a heavenly combination.

Nasal contentment I tell you.

:D

There is a reason my under title says "banned from the Galley"... first two brews were extract on the kitchen stove.... SWMBO hated the smell.... now I'm in the Garage with a 10 Gal RiMS system.... Life is good

There is a reason my under title says "banned from the Galley"... first two brews were extract on the kitchen stove.... SWMBO hated the smell.... now I'm in the Garage with a 10 Gal RiMS system.... Life is good

Geez all this time my brain translated it as banned from the GALLERY...I thought you were a bad boy in fightclub and couldn't go in there....;)

SWMBO loves the smell of the mash, but says once the hops go in the boil, it smells like cooking green beans.

Hanover Brands is based here in town, so we know that smell well whenever we drive by the canning plant.

Goes really well with the smell of potato chips and pretzels (Snyder's of Hanover and Utz are here too!:D)

I love the smell and I could eat LME with a spoon... is that wrong?

My wife liked the smell until the first couple months of her pregnancy then it nauseated her. That made me paranoid because with her first pregnancy she had beef stew at a friends house that nauseated her and she is still turned off to it.

But all is good now.

SWMBO loves the smell of the mash, but says once the hops go in the boil, it smells like cooking green beans.

Hanover Brands is based here in town, so we know that smell well whenever we drive by the canning plant.

Goes really well with the smell of potato chips and pretzels (Snyder's of Hanover and Utz are here too!:D)

You are fortunate you arent in york with the ole codorus nearby

My SWMBO just loves the smell of cooking wort. The first time she made beer she inhaled the aroma like she was trying to clear her sinuses with it.

She's a keeper :D

...is wort, fresh, burn your tongue off wort. My wife hates that smell. But I know what it will be soon. And so do you.:mug:

I like it, and that smell is the reason I'm going to have to invest in a turkey fryer and make the wort outside from now on. Sweet.

I have even been banned from making yeast starters in the house. All brewing takes place in the garage, and then she still complains......then I RDWHAHB!

Brewing out side yesterday. As my daughter made gagging noises, my wife said " It stinks , smells like mollasas and melting plastic"
I politely asked them do go back in the house and leave me the hell alone.

I can do starters in the house and the mash is OK too, but no more boiling of wort in the house for me. :(

Transferred my JHB from primary to secondary yesterday and it smelled funky in there. Thought that would lose me a few points!

Brewing out side yesterday. As my daughter made gagging noises, my wife said " It stinks , smells like mollasas and melting plastic"
I politely asked them do go back in the house and leave me the hell alone.

I think, more importantly, that your wife and daughter need to leave the moles alone and stop smelling their asses. ;)

It smells delicious. I actually regret that I don't brew inside anymore! I wish I could get a wort scented candle or something like that. That would be sweet. At least I still get the scent when I fire up the stove to make a starter.

With a little luck the SWMBO will ask you to take it out side.

"I don't care what you do, I just don't want it in the house."

That right there is like a blank check to step up to all grain and bigger,better equipment at the SWMBO request.

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!

Back