Thanksgiving Celebration Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plaplant

Reaction score
So I have been wanting to make a Rye Red ale for a while and I'm thinking it would be a great addition to a thanks giving celebration ale.

Here's what I come up with. The hops are what I've got in the freezer. Do you think they will go well with this grain bill?

Estimated OG: 1.064 (60% BH efficiency)
Estimated FG: 1.016 (aprox 6.5% ABV)
IBUs: 70
SRM: 11.9

10 lb American 2 row
1.5 lb American Rye
1.5 lb Cara Red
1 lb Crystal 60
1 lb corn sugar

60 min .5 oz Summit 18.5 aau
30 min .5 oz Summit 18.5 aau
5 min .5 oz Citra 11 aau
5 min El Dorado 15.7 aau

Northwest Ale Yeast

Mash at 153 for 60 min. Sparge as usual. Boil for 60 minutes following above hop schedule. Cool to 65 and ferment between 65 68 F.

What do you guys think about the hops? I like trying to use unique hops in unique beers but I am really not that familiar with these.

Thank you!

I can't offer any help sadly, but you could try the ingredients and recipes forum!

Usually with a rye ale I like to use more earthy/spicy hops. I don't think citra will mesh well with the rye and all of the sweetness left from the cara. I can't speak on the el dorado, never used it.

You'll get a bit of perceived bitterness from the rye as well, so keep that in mind.

As for the grain bill, if you're just using the cara red for body and color, maybe consider going with a smaller amount of debittered black (or even roasted barely like an Irish red) and a higher mash temp to get the extra body. I picture holiday/celebration ales to have a complex malty backbone.

Those are my suggestions, this is homebrewing though, so do whatever you'd like to try. And post up results. Just trying to give you some things to consider.

Just saw your planned mash temp is 153, I think that's about where you'd want to be for my earlier suggestion.

Usually with a rye ale I like to use more earthy/spicy hops. I don't think citra will mesh well with the rye and all of the sweetness left from the cara. I can't speak on the el dorado, never used it.

You'll get a bit of perceived bitterness from the rye as well, so keep that in mind.

As for the grain bill, if you're just using the cara red for body and color, maybe consider going with a smaller amount of debittered black (or even roasted barely like an Irish red) and a higher mash temp to get the extra body. I picture holiday/celebration ales to have a complex malty backbone.

Those are my suggestions, this is homebrewing though, so do whatever you'd like to try. And post up results. Just trying to give you some things to consider.

Okay so, based on your feedback I have made a few edits. Take a look and let me know what you think. I think all around this will make a better beer.

Estimated OG: 1.065 (60% BH efficiency)
Estimated FG: 1.02 (aprox 6.15% ABV)
IBUs: 76.2
SRM: 12.61

10 lb American 2 row
2 lb American Rye
1 lb Cara Red
1 lb Crystal 60
1 lb corn sugar
1 oz roasted Barley

10 min Centennial 10 aau
5 min Chinook 13 aau
0 min Centennial 10 aau

Northwest Ale Yeast in 4 cup starter.

Mash at 153 for 60 min. Sparge as usual. Boil for 60 minutes following above hop schedule. Cool to 65 and ferment between 65 68 F.

I think this will work better and I will just save the fruity hops for a pale ale down the road.

Thoughts??

Okay so, based on your feedback I have made a few edits. Take a look and let me know what you think. I think all around this will make a better beer.

Estimated OG: 1.065 (60% BH efficiency)
Estimated FG: 1.02 (aprox 6.15% ABV)
IBUs: 76.2
SRM: 12.61

10 lb American 2 row
2 lb American Rye
1 lb Cara Red
1 lb Crystal 60
1 lb corn sugar
1 oz roasted Barley

10 min Centennial 10 aau
5 min Chinook 13 aau
0 min Centennial 10 aau

Northwest Ale Yeast in 4 cup starter.

I think this will work better and I will just save the fruity hops for a pale ale down the road.

Thoughts??

I think it will work just fine without the Chinook. I think of that as more of a bittering hop. I'm not sure adding that late will be worthwhile.

I think it will work just fine without the Chinook. I think of that as more of a bittering hop. I'm not sure adding that late will be worthwhile.

I agree with this too, late additions of Chinook taste harsh to me. I do think that will make a nicer, more complex, beer.

Centennial is still a floral, citrusy hop, but I like that it in everything. So I won't complain about that, it'll make it more of an American ale anyway (for thanksgiving).

I agree with this too, late additions of Chinook taste harsh to me. I do think that will make a nicer, more complex, beer.

Centennial is still a floral, citrusy hop, but I like that it in everything. So I won't complain about that, it'll make it more of an American ale anyway (for thanksgiving).

I know what you guys are talking about, but I do want to get some piney/ resin flavors in there, do you think Columbus would be a better route?

Columbus is fantastic in the well known 'Denny's Rye IPA' recipe. Blends very well with the rye overtones.

Columbus is fantastic in the well known 'Denny's Rye IPA' recipe. Blends very well with the rye overtones.

Having looked at Denny's Rye IPA, I think I might change the last 2 late addition hops to Columbus.

Any final comments or remarks? I plan to brew this weekend.

Thanks,

very strange, the final gravity only got down to 1.024... I have used this yeast strain many times before and fermented around 65 degrees ambient. No idea why the gravity is still high. Anyone have a clue?

Back