Thanks for the help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightnorth

Reaction score
Hey all. I’m about 1.5 weeks away from having my second batch ready to drink. Which is good because out of my entire first 5 gal batch I drank exactly 500ML of it before my friends devoured the rest. I saved 2 12 oz to sit in the closet to see how much aging does.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank for all the help this site has contributed to my first couple experiences. I have come to this site quite often to read about everyone else that spazzed during their experience. It really helped to calm myself along before I got too worried about krausen or leaks or any number of things that happen during the crafting. The experience from the members here is a lifesaver and your quick responses to questions says a lot of good things about the people in this hobby. Thanks again, and here’s a few questions for the road.

1. I had to use a few twist cap bottles out of necessity and found no real problems with them. I’m using a pretty cheap capper but it all worked out ok. Is it maybe a myth/bad experiences that twist caps won’t hold a normal pressure or do some beers have a higher pressure in the bottles?
2. Why don’t more people use the dishwasher racks for a bottle tree? Just seemed like a no brainer to me to prop up one side of the racks and let the bottles drain. Plus if you have a sanitize setting on the dishwasher you can add some heat to it.
3. To sanitize the bottles I’ve been giving them a oxyclean bath, then a long clear water soak, then a sanitizer rinse, then a dishwasher sanitize setting. Am I going overboard on the sanitation of the bottles? Can I skip a step here?

Belgian White drank
Dark Porter Bottling
Fruit beer to meet the boil pot this weekend

you probably could skip a sanitation step but hey, it sure doesn't hurt anything to do it the way you have been. Since the dishwasher is pretty much labor free sanitizing that's a good one to keep if you want to cut down on your time

Twist bottles can work... But the neck of the bottle is thinner and can snap off. They also have sealing problems. Why give yourself a chance to lose 12 oz of goodness like that?

Back