Thanks AJ and Martin!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadiBrewer

Reaction score
About six months ago, I decided to start getting better at adjusting my water. I started by using RO and the primer and my beer got better. Then I bought the Hach pH meter and tried to learn that. The learning curve was longer than I anticipated, but I did the stability test, tested things around the house, and then tried brewing a couple of batches with mixed results.

I have been using Martin's spreadsheet and trying to figure it out. My last two brews were close and the pH meter was easier to use.

Today, I finally put it all together. Martin's spreadsheet predicted 5.3 with my grain bill and mineral additions for an ordinary bitter. I used the amber bitter profile. I tested the pH at 5, 15, and 30 minutes. The pH read 5.33, 5.33, and 5.32, respectively. After each test, I put the meter back into the 4.01 solution and it read 3.99, 4.02, and 4.01.

Thanks for both of your help, and many others on this board. I feel as though I can now start fine tuning taste and at least learn something from any future mistakes as I move forward.

Now to read the Water book.....

Back