Texas Hop Garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I live here in the Dallas area and I've got 3 Chinook vines coming through now, along with 2 Cascade and 2 Willamette. Never grown hops so this should be interesting. BTW, is it vines or bines?

Radtek, I'm wondering if you're still thinking of growing this season. I'm just outside of 410 on the northwest side and debating whether to construct something with full southern exposure in the backyard or doing a trellis up the east north east side of the house. With this past summer's heat the locals should have a good idea whether hops are San Antonio realistic or not.

i am in houston and grew cascade last year. 100F+ an no rain for almost 2 months. I watered a little in the morning (6am) and a little more at 5pm. they were in direct sunlight most of the day with some shade. i had zero wilting and first year plant produced 1/2oz dried.

got some rizomes on order here in GA....is there anyone from GA that can advise on how deep and or wide to ammend the soil? The soil here is basically clay.

so it's warm here. i've got a few bines that are racing up the rope.
2nd year nugget.
should i trim the bines back down and wait for new growth to train?
the longest bine doesn't have any side growth really...

i am in houston and grew cascade last year. 100F+ an no rain for almost 2 months. I watered a little in the morning (6am) and a little more at 5pm. they were in direct sunlight most of the day with some shade. i had zero wilting and first year plant produced 1/2oz dried.

Rhino,

I just read your post and realized that we are practically neighbors....the wife and I live in Champions. Do you have any tips for growing in our neck of the woods?

I live just north of Fort Worth and my hops are on their 2nd season this year. I was happy to be able to get a pretty good harvest last fall from the first year growth. From 2 bines I had enough for 1 batch of beer anyway.

This year though I'm trying to figure what to do with them. They grew like crazy this spring and I already have many hop flowers. They got to a point where I felt they needed picking and I just did harvest what was there. But the growth had slowed once the flowers started. What I am wondering is should I cut back the harvested bines to get the growth going again? Or will they continue to grow on the same shoots and I just harvest as they grow? It is supposed be 100f here this 1st day of June and I don't want to stress the plants.

I have searched the thread and found many harvesting questions but I have not seen problem with too early a harvest. I would think other Tx growers have had this same type growth.

I live in Bastrop Tx. and want to grow some hops, this thread is what I was looking for Thank you ALL for the info and nice pictures.
Roy

I grew some Cascades in Cypress, TX. I had the problem of the cones maturing in time for the August heat. As soon as the heat hit they didnt seem to want to mature fully. I probably didnt water like I should have and stuff and it was the first year. I didnt take care of them after so they never came back.

I want to do another crop of them. I only did two rhizomes before. Thanks for the insight on this thread. I might try a few of these things.

These cascades were in 8/25/2008

2edyqki.jpg

Definitely has to do with water. Once they wilt out they will protect themselves and not grow flowers like you would want. One thing I'd suggest is thick 4'' mulch. Also a cheap home depot watering time and a small investment in drip irrigation and black pipe. Keep it on an autowatering. It will grow much differently when its not up and down in moisture.

I'm going to plant some of these along my garden fence this year to get a crop rolling for the future. I was going to do it last year and now that california is getting record rain and cold I wish I would have... would have given them a good start and nice fair weather to keep rolling roots out while they are young so they were good and ready to crank it out when the weather is great.

I'd guess that the warmer the weather the better the crop if you can keep them watered enough. Compost teas make a big difference too.

Saw the recent post reviving the thread. I wanted to report on my 2010 hop growing failure. I'm in the DFW area and planted in my patio facing north or getting direct sun only between about 11 am through 3 pm (strong indirect morning till dusk). I planted Cascade and got good initial growth but the bines would not attach to the nylon blend rope I had for support. After replacing with a very rough twine the bines latched on but by June/July I could tell they were not getting enough sun by the lack of appreciable growth. I planted in a very large pot with about 3-4 inches of mulch on top and did not have any water issues but definately need to reconsider planting in a different area where it can get more sun or possibly moving the pot from my yard to the patio after a good 8-10 feet of bines have grown. It was my initial intent to have the hops take over the rafters of my patio covering giving some shade and that great hop aroma. Alas, maybe 2011 will be better. Happy growing!

We are just setting in a garden and I have a local brewer that would be interested in any hops I can produce. I see by scanning that other people in my area have planted the Cascade, Centennial and Haulertau. Have you seen growth yet. Irrigating is not an issue, I would be fertilizing ala natural (organic growing).
Where do you order your rhizomes from?

Just planted five different hops in five different 24" planters (about 20gal). Used a 2-1 mix of Miracle Gro Moisture Control potting soil mixed with compost. Varieties:

Cascade
Centennial
Mt. Hood
Nugget
Willamette

Wish me luck!

They have already climbed over 4 feet high. I have just added some composted manure around them. Last years harvest was pretty impressive but was over once the Texas heat and drought set in.
I bought mine from Midwest Brewing Supply.
I used them for a couple of batches of brew but will be wiser next time. I wound up over hopping one of my batches by using too much. Still quite tasty but more hop bite than I like.

Just bought some Cascade and Chinook rhizomes from freshops.com... SWMBO really wanted to do this so I figured we'd give it a shot. Oklahoma is already in a drought, so we'll see what happens. Planning on planting two large pots, one on each corner of the house facing east (one ESE and one ENE) and see which one does better.

Was planning to use two or three ropes going up to the base of the roof from each pot in a V-pattern... don't know if this will work or not with one plant... thoughts?

I planted them Thursday along with some raspberries. So far the raspberries are showing some signs of life but no sprouts from the hops yet. I planted them in native soil with some compost fertilizer so I'm sure they will grow a little slower than people who went with more amended soil.

After reading this thread I was inspired to try a small hops garden also. I live in Houston and made two small raised beds in my backyard along a East-West fenceline. Last night I put the beds ~ 5-6 ft apart, dug up the St. Augustine in them, bedded with loose compost then filled each with 1cf garden soil and amended with 20 lbs humus & manure (If this is stupid, let me know; I'm not much of a gardener). I pseudo-mounded the center of the bed and planted my rhizomes (1 nugget and 1 cascade) vertically with my buds facing up about 1" below the soil. I used cedar mulch all around the "hump" but left the crown unmulched so shoots could show. I bought a cheapo drip irrigation system and put two 1 gal/hr emitters on each mound. I will bracket a 1/2" x10 ft conduit approximately 4 ft up a fencepost in the middle of the beds and run some rough twine I found from the corners of my beds to the top of the pole @ about 14 feet. If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears. Wish me luck!

I wouldnt worry to much about the mulch. I mulched the top of mine and it comes through easy. See pic of some cascades I planted the other day. I just used some potting soil and then put mulch on top.

IMG00109-20110328-1653.jpg

I wouldnt worry to much about the mulch. I mulched the top of mine and it comes through easy. See pic of some cascades I planted the other day. I just used some potting soil and then put mulch on top.

Wow looks good! How long after planting your rhizomes did shoots become visible? I just want to know when I should start to worry/order some more rhizomes before it's too late.

Thanks!

it depends on how the buds where on the rhizome. When I got mine in the mail they already had about an 1-1/2" sprout coming out in a few places.

I planted them 2-3 inches in the soil then mulch on top about a week ago. I planted them with the sprouts/buds point up. This sounds like a dumb thing to say but one time I did it backwards which wasnt to bad they jsut took longer to turn around.

FYI - mine are Cascades from freshhops

I have 1 cascade and 1 nugget, both from freshops. I could see the cascade staring to poke out (just barely) this morning. Nothing so far from the nugget.

Update: The cascade has 3 shoots poking out with first leaves, and the nugget has 2. So far so good! I will post pics when they are more visible.

I did not realize I planted the rhizomes so deep. I went digging around under the mounds I grew to see if there was any activity. Both of my rhizomes that have not produced a shoot have several shoots working their way up in the ground. I apparently planted them like a foot deep once you factor in the depth of the mound. Oh well, as long as they are growing they will make their way up to the surface.

after 9 days, both the nugget and the cascade are doing fabulously. From what I've read and seen on hops growing, I expected my cascades to outpace the nugget, but this was not the case. My nugget has 2 dominant shoots about 1' tall now, while my cascade has 4 or 5 shoots, the tallest being about 5". Should I trim back all but two or three of these? Pics to follow.

there are a bunch of much better hops growers on here, but i have about six of them popping out now about 2"

I was just gonna run twine from the ground close by and tack the other ends to my fence. Next year might be another story though. The last time I did cascades i only got about two eight feet vines from one rhizome in the first year. I wasnt watering alot though. Ive seen some peoples pics on here go crazy but we are in Houston too.

EDIT: Nevermind I think I am gonna do a 7ft tripod like Eds in this thread.

Cascade4-6-11.jpg

Nugget4-6-11.jpg

These were taken this morning. Cascade is on the top and the nugget is on the bottom. Should I be worried that the Cascade seems so far behind?

damn shazam!

I wouldnt worry. You are ahead of me on the cascades. It just probably depends on size of rhizome, perfect water/moisture mix, etc etc. I will try to remember to post a pic of my cascades. I am in NW houston FYI.

I'm in NW Houston too. Inside the Beltway, near Antione @ Gulf Bank. I will work on training the hops to their twine this weekend (at least the nugget). Will update with pics as relevant.

Looking nice! I've all but given up on hops in Austin. Too Hot, not enough shade. It was a freak wet summer when I started this project. :D

hello all, newbie here to the site

i started a few just to see what they do, i dont have high hopes
here is a few pictures
from 3/25
101_0321-1.jpg

101_0323.jpg

from 3/29
101_0326.jpg

101_0325.jpg

from 4/7
101_0335.jpg

101_0334.jpg

101_0332.jpg

101_0333.jpg

here is a pic of last night. I put a small tripod over it from some leftover stuff I had in the garage. I may tack out some twine once it gets to the top.

this was three planted cascades rhizomes.

IMG00176-20110412-1958.jpg

any east Texas Hops growers up in here?

I am moving to Tyler this Thursday and was wondering if anyone over that way has tried or is growing hops.

-=Jason=-

any east Texas Hops growers up in here?

I am moving to Tyler this Thursday and was wondering if anyone over that way has tried or is growing hops.

-=Jason=-

Jason, I live in Forney and have chinook, cascade, and willamette. I planted everything last year. I dug out 3 holes that are around 2x2x2 ft. I then filled the holes with a mix of aged manure, top soil, and compost all obtained from lowes. So far this year, my chinook is about 3 ft, my cascade is around 7ft, and the willamette is a few inches tall. I'll post pics tonight.

Jason, I live in Forney and have chinook, cascade, and willamette. I planted everything last year. I dug out 3 holes that are around 2x2x2 ft. I then filled the holes with a mix of aged manure, top soil, and compost all obtained from lowes. So far this year, my chinook is about 3 ft, my cascade is around 7ft, and the willamette is a few inches tall. I'll post pics tonight.

Cool, I'd love to see photos.

I think I'll try my hand at growing some hops

-=Jason=-

Great thread folks.

Hey Ed, do you think that your troubles in years 2+ could have been a result of the news paper that got put down at grade? I understand that news paper serves as a great weed barrier, to keep the weeds from coming up, but I wonder if that kept the roots of your hops from moving down deep where the temps are more constant and the moisture is readily available.

When I saw your process I thought "ohh, yeah I want to do that" but then as I kept reading I started to wonder if that was part of the troubles in the more recent years.

Not sure, just brainstorming out of my a$$. Might be totally off base.

Latest posts

Back