Testing your buckets for a good seal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogFace_Brewing

Reaction score
So I thought I would just throw this out there for anyone who cares...

I was cleaning out my primary buckets today and I found a easy way to check to see if your buckets and lids have a good seal or not.

I filled the bucket about half way with a Star San mixture to sanitize them, sealed the lids on and starting shaking hard to get the mixture all around the bucket. While I was shaking I sealed the hole on the lid with my thumb and I noticed that a hissing sound was coming out of one part of the lid. As the sanitizer built up from the shaking it made a lot of air pressure which needed to go somewhere so it found the closest escape. Took it off and resealed it...same sound again. NOW i know that no matter how hard I knock the lid down on the bucket, this one has a small air leak in the lid.

Just thought it was interesting so I would share :mug:

I just gently lay the lid on top. Once the fermentation begins and the CO2 generates positive pressure in the bucket, ain't nothing getting in. Even after fermentation completes and the offgassing subsides there will still be a blanket of CO2 over the new beer to protect it.

True that. I found the same thing with my Cooper's micro brew FV. I don't care how new that big honkin "O" ring seal is,it isn't any better than a stock apex seal on a turbo'd RX-7! And that ain't sayin much,friends. I wonder if I bought a new seal locally if that might work better? I'm wondering if the seal just sat too long in the kit box?
On the other hand,the beer kit part of the "micro brew kit" was dated good till June 2012. So?....Design flaw,or uneven molding around the top of the screw threads on the FV for the lid? Seal seat not preventing seal from moving when tightening the lid down?

The bucket doesn't really need to seal, just keep the top covered. Besides, they are a PITA to get off once they are sealed. Remember, some breweries ferment in big open tanks with no cover whatsoever...

The bucket doesn't really need to seal, just keep the top covered. Besides, they are a PITA to get off once they are sealed. Remember, some breweries ferment in big open tanks with no cover whatsoever...

I understand that...just pointing it out as some new brewers will say my airlock is not bubbling but the lid is sealed...well here is a good example of air escaping even when it looks like the bucket is fully sealed is all.

I understand that...just pointing it out as some new brewers will say my airlock is not bubbling but the lid is sealed...well here is a good example of air escaping even when it looks like the bucket is fully sealed is all.

True, as exciting as it is to see the airlock bubble, I'm starting to think that kit makers should find another means of gas venting. It would eliminate a lot of confusing with new brewers as to why it is or isn't bubbling. I bet I could stick an airlock on an empty bucket and make it bubble lol.

Back