Testing wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revid

Reaction score
I have a blueberry/ strawberry wine That’s almost finished fermenting and a friend told me I should do an acid test and ph test on it. I had leftover .I bought an acid test kit and also have a blue labs ph pen. What should my numbers be on each test?

Attachments

• 88E0A8BB-4A29-4244-A604-19CC6342F6AD.jpeg
    88E0A8BB-4A29-4244-A604-19CC6342F6AD.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 3
It’s still working . Don’t taste too bad. I read you can adjust the acid level again just before bottling.

Testng for pH levels tells you how much free SO2 you need to add to ensure that the wine has a long a shelf life as possible, but many home wine makers simply add one crushed Campden tablet before bottling. TA is different. TA tells you the amount of acid in the wine (grams/liter) and that usually tests best at around about 6 to 6.5 g/L of acid but note what I said, " tastes best" so you can use your mouth to measure the TA subjectively: does the wine taste bright enough? Does it have enough zing to be enjoyed or does it taste blah and bland... ? You CAN use a pH meter to measure TA but you need to have Na OH (sodium hydroxide) to neutralize the acidity and when you add enough Na OH for your ph meter to show a pH of 8.2 that quantity of Sodium Hydroxide you added gives you enough information to know the TA (see for example: Measurement of titratable acidity (TA) of grapes and wines - The Australian Wine Research Institute)

Latest posts

Back