Testing the new brolly spoon. My 1/2 & 1/2 ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c.n.budz

Reaction score
So I got my brolly spoon yesterday and have been itching to test it out. I don't feel like going out and buying the typical 1/2 & 1/2 beers, so I'm going to experiment with what I have on hand. For stout, I have a big bottle of Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence Stout.

I plan on pairing that with a few different lighter brews just to see how they work out. I'm definitely going to try one with some Apfelwein because I've always liked the Guinness/Magners 1/2 & 1/2 and figure chocolate and apple work pretty well together. Next I have a Belgian White Ale that I figure will work well with the Belgian style stout. After that I'm going to try one with my Summer Wheat Ale mainly out of curiosity.

Whatta ya guys think?

I have a bunch of other brews on hand, but none really lend themselves to a 1/2 & 1/2

I'll be starting my "research" after dinner and will post some pics then.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought 1/2 and 1/2's only worked if one of the beers was on nitro. Otherwise they just mix together and not seperate.

I had a vanilla stout / American Pale Ale combination that worked really well together (both from Thornbridge, my local brewery). The extra malt from the stout gave a nice boost to the ale, and the vanilla went great with the kiwi/plum aromas from the hops.

They layer based on density. So, if you want to layer a big ass chocolate stout and apfewein, make sure you put the apfelwein on top since it has a lower FG. The reason Guinness/Beamish/Murphy's etc. are almost always on top is NOT because they are nitro beers, but because they are dry stout and typically have FGs of 1.009 or lower.

Back