Testing my new Heat Source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allergic2hops

Reaction score
I saw this idea on Brewers Friend and thought it was clever. I had most of the components and only needed a bucket and the light socket. For less than $6 I had something to tinker with for an afternoon. I took my BBQ probe thermometer and put it in the can with a 40W light bulb. After leaving it on for maybe an hour, the temp inside the can was a toasty 153 degrees.

I am thinking of using this as a heat source for my fermentation chamber that the irratic Atlanta winter is forcing me to make. Usually my basement has a nice stable temperature but this year we have gone from 8 degrees to 70 degrees in less than 10 days. Crazy fluctuations in temperature for beer. I am going to use 2" construction foam and use this heat source.

The heat out put is obviously greater than required so I am going to use a 25 W bulb to reduce what I think will become a hot spot in the chamber. Also it will use less electricity and should do the job nicely when its used in conjuction with a temperature control unit.

What are some economical cooling sources to keep the temp even. I won't need it until August but I want to have it ready anyway.

Thanks!
A2H

CAM00471.jpg

I think I would drill a load of half inch holes it it to let air circulate and keep the bulb and can cooler. A couple of holes in the lid will let the heat rise and escape the socket.

Back