testing alcohol tolerance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
I am curious as to how high of ABV my wild yeast will go. I used to make fruit liqeuers (fruit, vodka, sugar, water) of about 20%. Aged about 6 months in qt Mason jars. More than one severely bent the metal lid due to fermentation. That has to be some pretty stout yeast on my berries!

So, just for fun I want to see how high my wild yeast will go. Here is what I am thinking:

Make up a mixture of berries + water + sugar to 1.10 SG. When it drops to 1.05 add enough sugar to go back to about 1.10, and see what it does. If it ferments to dry it would make the result about 20-22% ABV. If it really does that, I can add a little more and see if the yeast will keep on chewing. How does that process sound to the more experienced vinnters on here?

My goal is not to make drinkable rocket fuel, I will only do a qt. I just want to see what my native yeast can do.

1. I would add yeast nutrient so the yeast doesn't stall from lack of nitrogen. Aeration is also helpful.

2. Step feeding is known to be less stressful, producing higher ABV.

3. Repitch some of your older yeast if you still have it available.

Back