Test beer flat, not carbonating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, we just checked out first bottle. First thing we all noticed off the test beer is that there seems to have been zero carbonation.

I searched the forum a bit and I'm not really sure what our problem is. On bottling day we used cooper tablets for priming sugars for starters. It's only been about a week at room temperature but I've looked at a few bottles and you can still see the sugar sitting at the bottom and no sign of carbonation.

So far the taste is good, just flat.
For reference it's a Bavarian wheat beer, we used cooper tablets and it's been about a week. Anyway to save this batch or at least prevent this next time.

:tank:

If you guys need gravity, temps or anything I can try to elaborate as best as I can. Other then the lack of carbonation, its not so bad. Have two other beers and a batch of wine looming in. :rockin:

Give it another two weeks. Sometimes those carb drops take a little bit to dissolve. Also, try to keep it about 68 to get those tired, lazy yeasts back to work.
One week is not enough time to carb properly

Give it another two weeks. Sometimes those carb drops take a little bit to dissolve. Also, try to keep it about 68 to get those tired, lazy yeasts back to work.
One week is not enough time to carb properly

Cool, I'm starting to hate the place we've been ordering beer kits from since their directions are always off.

We've been keeping it at that temperature lucky enough. We'll have to wait a bit longer until we can test again. :cross:

... give it time. I alwys have to open a bottle after five days. I'm consistently disappointed, but I know it's going to get better. If it just lacks carbonation, my bet is you are right on track. (I've only done three kits and am doing my first all grain, with a separate test batch on the tail end.)

... give it time. I alwys have to open a bottle after five days. I'm consistently disappointed, but I know it's going to get better. If it just lacks carbonation, my bet is you are right on track. (I've only done three kits and am doing my first all grain, with a separate test batch on the tail end.)

yeah we seem to be off to a good start if all we need to do is wait. We were lucky that there weren't any off-odors, taste or anything else. If all goes well, and we just need to wait two weeks, it'll be worth it since the flat beer actually tastes like great beer. :tank:

Hmm, I have never used "tablets" I just boil about 2cups water after adding 3/4-1 cup of dextrose(corn sugar). Mix thoroughly(but gently) in the bottling bucket then bottle from there. I have yet to have any issues with carbing! JMHO

Here's something you can always do: Buy some dry ice and drop a couple of grams into an opened bottle of flat beer. Recap it quickly and shake it like it's in an earthquake. As soon as the dry ice has quit bubbling, it's ready to open and pour, but make sure to shake for a couple of minutes more to get the gas dispersed properly... Instant carbonation! Can't beat that. And dry ice is EXTRA CHEAP, too.

Here's something you can always do: Buy some dry ice and drop a couple of grams into an opened bottle of flat beer. Recap it quickly and shake it like it's in an earthquake. As soon as the dry ice has quit bubbling, it's ready to open and pour, but make sure to shake for a couple of minutes more to get the gas dispersed properly... Instant carbonation! Can't beat that. And dry ice is EXTRA CHEAP, too.

Wow, that's not a good idea imo. Dry ice contains other things, like detergents, that could be toxic. Also, it is very difficult to measure the exact amount of CO2 even if you have a nice gram scale, because it is constantly sublimating. Just my .02

"Wow, that's not a good idea imo. Dry ice contains other things, like detergents, that could be toxic. Also, it is very difficult to measure the exact amount of CO2 even if you have a nice gram scale, because it is constantly sublimating. Just my .02"

I don't know why you think dry ice would have detergents in it. It would leave a residue after sublimation. I've NEVER seen any residue. Never had any off flavors, either.

It doesn't sublime THAT fast, unless you put it in a good cold beer. It can easily be weighed out accurately enough to carbonate a bottle of beer. I use it EXCLUSIVELY to carbonate my beer in 2L bottles. I don't fool around with priming sugar and so forth and I have instant carbonation. It works! You ought to try it, Potter1. It might change your mind.

I can only imagine bottles exploding as someone attempts to put Dry Ice in it for carbonation and not shaking it hard enough, while holding the cap down.

Search Dry Ice on this site and you'll see why it's not a good idea.

meh,
The person I'm working with seems to think 2 weeks is the magic number on bottling. It's getting to the point where there's no use in arguing about it. We're almost at the two week mark and you can still see sugar floating in there.

I think there's a way to get around the problems with the beer/dry ice . I'd have to experiment a bit though to see. Off the top of my head I could see doing it with a run off or modified cap. Would need to see what the reaction would look like without pressure first though.

Seems like going from 65F to 70F has made a huge difference for me in the past. Especially if you are going down below 65F at night cause you're putting your yeast to sleep every 24 hours.

Regarding the dry ice... I've done that with soda before because it's actually safer in that case. If you measure accurately you'll get consistent results; it's not black magic. But it would be a huge, and I mean gigantically huge, PITA to do that for two cases of 12 oz bottles compared to priming sugar. Sort of like priming drops that you had to measure yourself and handle without using your bare fingers.

IMG_1961.jpg

Tadah, looks like it only needed 2 weeks. First successful beer/attempt at it. We just bottled another one today, have another one in a secondary, and we're almost done with the wine. :mug:

Back