Terracotta vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin201

Reaction score
Was wondering are there any somewhat affordable terracotta vessels to store wine in .... I could be wrong but I think it'll give it a unique earthy taste

You might be able to ferment in terracotta. I wouldn't age it though. The thing about terracotta is that is breathes; it allows gas exchange with the environment. For fermentation this could work to your advantage by introducing oxygen and letting co2 escape. But for aging, this will allow too much oxygen into your wine and cause oxidation issues.

Yeah that's what I thought. .would like to try to ferment in it one time...

Do you know if there's any way to get like that Earth taste I have about 4 gallons bulk aging of Merlot Cabernet mix would love to get that chateauneuf du pape kind earthy taste to it??

Do you know if there's any way to get like that Earth taste I have about 4 gallons bulk aging of Merlot Cabernet mix would love to get that chateauneuf du pape kind earthy taste to it??

Isn't there a certain amount of work being done by brett in some earthy French wines?

I've worked with Terracotta vessels specifically made for wine (~120 gallons size). They are unglazed, the inside is sealed with bee's wax and the lid (stainless steel) is fixed to the opening with a very hard wax. They impart a fantastic flavor (honey-like of course), I've only used it on Viognier, no reds. The bee's wax can be reapplied or a tartaric acid (tartrate) finish applied to the inside, similar to the treatment of concrete tanks.

Yeah I saw those they're really nice kind of expensive I think the small one goes for like 2300 or somewhere around there

Latest posts

Back