Tepache similar process to Kombucha?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sttifyd35

Reaction score
After reading up on tepache, i notice that it is very similar to how kombucha is made. It ferments with being open to oxygen. Do you end up getting a Scoby with tepache too? Also, have you tried this method with other fruits?

To get a scoby in your tepache you would have to leave it for a very long time, but by the time it forms a scoby you would have vinegar. Kombucha is not made with fruit, just tea, sugar, and a scoby.

Tepache is ready within days, so there isn't time for a scoby to form. You tend to get white yeast at the bottom of the fermenting vessel, but not a lot. I don't know if it is the particular yeast or that it likes pineapple, but it really goes fast. I've only done it a couple of times.

Well I just started my first Tepache. Who knows if I’m doing it right or if it will work.
IMG_7490.jpg

How do you all do it?

24 hrs and it’s alive. Not bad for a wild fermentation with no added nutrients.

Warning: if you let it go too long, it will become rocket fuel. They key is to taste it every couple of days and remove the fruit and refrigerate when it's good.
Thanks.

I've heard two and three days.

Anybody recommend more than that?

IMG_7501.jpg

My first Tepache is done. 3-1/2 days. Still some sweetness and chucks are sooo good, too.

I think it's supposed to be refreshing and fizzy, but not too fermented.

South of the border they mix it with a light beer to get more fix, more alcohol.

Back