Temperature problems.............

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undrtker66

Reaction score
I just don't get it......why does Murphy always have to mess with me...A week ago i put a thermometer where i wanted to sit my fermenter and the temp. was 70 degrees.....and it stayed that temp. for a whole week..so i fill my fermenter and put it in that spot and now the temp. goes down to 65 degrees........come on realy....sorry just venting....

65 is my favorite ale temp! Note also that fermentation is an exothermic reaction and will raise your fermentor another 4 or 5 degrees.

When a yeast packet or recipe says to ferment at 65, that means the fermenter, not the room.

I guess what I am saying is you're probably better off at 65. Unless you really want to ferment warm (i.e., a saison or belgian beer).

No need to be upset, you actually were smiled upon by the beer gods. 65 will be much better for your beer than 70.
passedpawn is right on that fermentation temp will be higher than ambient, but I have seen it said by several people that it could be even 6-10 degrees higher. Regardless of whether it goes up 4 degrees or 8 degrees, cooler is better.

You can always use an incandescent lightbulb or a cheap heating pad to bump up the temp by a couple of degrees.

Latest posts

Back