Temperature Limitations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esocid

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I'm currently fermenting an IPA (my first brew ever:)), and will be dry hopping it in probably a day or so, and I've come to the decision of what to brew next. My brother is not a fan of hoppy beers, so I figured I would go for something of a different style, like a hefeweizen or something of the sort. This is where I started to come into the education on ideal temperatures for different styles. Where I'm storing my caroby, it's about 70-72F, but may dip to 67-69F when winter hits. So my question is, what am I limited to with these temperatures, and is there a list anywhere of the ideal range of temperatures for specific styles?

Also, more for my education, is the temperature more dependent on the yeast you are using, rather than the other ingredients?

Also, more for my education, is the temperature more dependent on the yeast you are using, rather than the other ingredients?

Yes. Stick with Ale yeast and you should be fine at those temps. Just don't try to make any lagers.

It's about the yeast, although the yeast does affect the flavor of the other ingredients.

The yeast companies know their product better than anyone, so use them for a reference.

Most homebrewers who practice temperature control shoot for the low end of the range, 66-68 degrees for most ales. Some strains are more neutral and clean tasting than others, e.g. American strains like California Ale Yeast, but all will add more yeast flavors at higher temperatures.

It really depends on what you're making, but if you're shooting for a clean tasting American Pale Ale and your air temperature is at 70-72F, you're going to get more ester flavors than you want because the beer will get 5-10 degrees warmer than that at the height of fermentation. A Saison on the other hand is typically fermented in the low-mid 80s.

Again, check out the manufacturer recommendations, and think about ways to control fermentation temps. I've listed a few options on my blog here.

Exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks for that, and for the blog Billy. And yeah, I noticed that in the height of fermentation my carboy was reading ~74F.

Happy to help. My first couple of years brewing I thought I was doing it right fermenting at 72 just like they recommend. It was a "duh" moment when I realized my beer was actually warmer, and the changes I made showed up in the taste. :mug:

Just an idea here, what about using the "swamp cooler" method for keeping your ferment cool?

Put your fermenter in a large bin, add water to half-way up the fermenter or so then wrap a towel around the fermenter to block the light(if you have glass) and to soak up the liquid then put a fan on the whole thing and that should cool the ferment way down! Or instead of a fan you could put frozen 2L bottles in the water too!

Or something like that!! It is easy to do and a lot cheaper than a fridge or freezer with a temp controller on it, which I happen to have but that is beside the point:cross:

Either way, good luck and keep on brewing!

Just an idea here, what about using the "swamp cooler" method for keeping your ferment cool?

Put your fermenter in a large bin, add water to half-way up the fermenter or so then wrap a towel around the fermenter to block the light(if you have glass) and to soak up the liquid then put a fan on the whole thing and that should cool the ferment way down! Or instead of a fan you could put frozen 2L bottles in the water too!

Or something like that!! It is easy to do and a lot cheaper than a fridge or freezer with a temp controller on it, which I happen to have but that is beside the point:cross:

Either way, good luck and keep on brewing!

I was looking at that from Billy's blog, but how hard is it to keep a stable temperature. If I left it for 8-10 hours would it stay within a decent range?

I was trying to keep the temperature between 63-65 degrees and with an 8 hour lag between changing water bottles, I was getting 5-7 degree swings (with my house at 72). Not exactly optimal, but still better then fermenting in the mid 70s. My set up is good for combating higher temperatures but because there's such little insulation you're going to get those larger swings.

Latest posts

Back