Temperature Controller - What do you want it to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slackerlack

Reaction score
Hey guys, my buddy is building me a temperature controller for my fermentation chamber (freezer), and it's pretty slick so far. He wanted to know what features and options he could add to it to make it better. So I wanted to ask you what the perfect temperature controller could do for you? What features or options would you want it to have?

Right now, this is what it has.

1. Small enclosure with a LED display.
2. Two small buttons to make adjustments.
3. It is powered by a USB cable, also has power cable for fridge to plug into and one to go into the wall.
4. Three foot waterproof temperature probe.
5. Set temp function, will let it fluctuate 0.4 degrees above set temp before it kicks on the freezer.
6. Cold crash feature, you set the temp you want to go down to, it will drop the temp one degree an hour until it gets to your cold crash temp. It displays how many hours it will take to do this.

This is what I would like added so far.

1. Another power outlet for heating.
2. A way to adjust the difference set value from 0.4 degrees to whatever I want.
3. WiFi option so I can program and view it remotely.
4. Longer temperature probe.

Any other ideas, please let me know.

Wow, a homemade, customized temp controller, pretty cool.

You probably want some sort of compressor delay. The STC-1000 has a compressor delay setting as high as 10 minutes (I think). The feature is designed to relieve the compressor and hopefully extend its lifespan. I think by ten minutes, it means the compressor is guranteed a ten minute rest after running despite what the temperature probe reads. It could also mean the compressor only runs for ten minute durations, or both, I am really not sure.

Back