Temperature controller on a French door

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman42

Reaction score
So I've come across a good beer fridge that is a French door side by side with freezer on the left and fridge on the right.

I need a place to put my keg system.

My question is:

If I just simply buy a temp controller can I use both sides of the fridge as a refrigerator and not a freezer?

I've read some stuff about this but cant find the exact answer I'm looking for. I really don't have time to do a bunch a modifications that I've seen some people do.

I just want to buy a temp controller plug it in and put my keg stuff in the freezer side and extra beer on the fridge side or Visa versa And essentially use the entire fridge as a refrigerator without freezing.

Can I do that?

Possibly.

I suspect that when the freezer cycles off at, say 40*f, the fridge side will be much warmer. I also suspect that you will have to set the fridge side to it's coldest setting in order to get the balance you desire. The issue that comes to my mind is of how long will the internal fan will run to achieve that balance.

Most refrigerator systems use the compressor to bring the freezer side to temp in an "active" mode. And then use a more passive fan forced transfer to pull air from the freezer to cool the fridge side.

Worst case, you may have to rig a fan to continually circulate air from the freezer to the fridge to get the balance you want.

Back