Temperature Controlled Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shark_sandwich

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for help and suggestions on building a temperature controlled mash tun. Would like to be able to do step mashing but most important is to hold the temp for the entire mashing session.
1st I’ve been reading a lot of the steam threads out there. Seems that it was a hot topic around 2007 or so and has lost popularity in the recent years. Where have all the steam advocates gone. There was talk of write-ups on their systems but I can’t find them. Is it too dangerous or just a bad technique. Was thinking about using pressure cooker. Pros cheap, no pump or temp controller required can use equipment that I already have.
2nd been considering this build from BYO https://byo.com/stories/projects-and-equipment/item/2799-build-a-heated-mash-tun-projects. A bit more expensive but not a full HERMS build.
3rd Just stick with my cooler and save up to do a proper HERMS or RIMS in the future.

Stick with your cooler... Add a RIMS module from Glacier Tanks, a chugger or march pump, a hot water heater element, and a johnson controller to your setup. Recirculate through out your mash to control temps.

You'd probably want to look at the math of using steam over direct electric elements. I am willing to bet that electric steam generation->steam heat is less efficient than using HERMS/RIMS.

Most industrial steam boilers use an NG/Air mixture as the fuel, which can be considerably cheaper than electric.

Back