Temperature control methods.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srdjan Ostric

Reaction score
So that is the last of the things that I'm trying to incorporate into my brewing. I have read a lot on the internet about different things, and as always, the coolest and the best things like the glycol chiller are way more expensive than anything I want a reasonably pay. Likewise the cheap methods like the swamp cooler seem messy and you need to check on them everyday.

I'm thinking just having a second refrigerator is a good idea but I like the place three or four kegs in it to condition them and to have them in the queue. Any suggestions for a type of refrigerator? I have considered using a freezer, but I like the door in the front so I don't have to lift the 50 lb of beer and I have access to it.

Space is also a consideration.

My ferment chamber is a side by side with the freezer set to 33* with a Johnson controller. The fridge side stays around 50* and I have an insulated wrap with a heating mat connected to a ST1000. The freezer is my lagerator and has CO2 so after 2-4 weeks there it's carbed and ready for the kegerator(4 tap)
If you can only have one for now I'd go with the side by side and make the freezer a 3 keg kegerator and do fermenting in the fridge.
Freezers have a heating strip on the door perimeter where the seal contacts. I put all my pass thrus in the door so I don't drill a wire.

A small fridge with Inkbird controller is going to be your best option. If you can find a used fridge and have room for it, that's pretty standard. If you don't have room, like me, for a second fridge, you can try the option listed below. It works great and is very accurate, however, you have to change frozen water bottles once a day. I have heard of people using this option but putting a cold water bucket in their kegerator and using that for the cooling medium. It does not cold crash very well, although you can make beers at lager temps like 50 F quite nicely. https://ballandkeg.com/products/temperature-control-coil

Back