temp to drink ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep my kegerator at around 40F, and pour into a room temperature glass. I like the chill of the first sip, and I get to enjoy the way the flavor changes as it warms up. "Real Ales" or cask ales are served at or near room temperature with very low carbonation. I actually have to let my Ordinary Bitter warm up before it tastes any good. Generally, as cool as you like it, but avoid ice cold or frozen glasses.

The darker the beer, the warmer I like it. Not warmer than 55 or 60 degrees, however. Lighter colored beers are better at colder temps, IMHO.

I find more and more that i like my beer probably a little warmer than standard fridge temp. I actually drink some beers at room temp (big stouts like dark lord). IPAs lose their hop character when they are too cold as well. 42-45 degrees is a pretty good range for me.

My refridg is around 54-55. It seems I taste the beer. I have not got into my lager yet, but that will be cold.:mug:

The answer:

What ever floats your boat!

I enjoy many in the 40-45 range.
Generally, I hate the iced down near frozen stuff.
Sometimes I'll even go warmer.

It all depends on the mood.

H-Balm said:
Generally, I hate the iced down near frozen stuff.

Agreed. One thing I hate when I'm out to dinner is restaurants that have one or two craft selections but serve them at the same temperature as the light lagers. It's not a huge problem. I just have to wait a while to drink my beer. However, if it comes out in a frozen mug, it's getting sent right back.

Back