Temp temp temp!!! Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bretrichter

Reaction score
Ok, so I started brewing again,

Got a 2 gallon Mr. Beer Mexican beer refile ( as a gift ), and brewed it.
I used a digital thermoforming to record temp daily. I placed a towel down, then the bucket on top of it, with the thermometer under neath the bucket. temp readings for 2 weeks are below:

2 weeks
------------
Lowest: 70*F
Highest: 74*F
------------
( please note yeast instructions say 68-76*F, but that is inside the fermenter, these readings were from under the bucket )

Today I bottled it, and used the hydrometer, which stated it was done. I did a sample taste and smell. It had a fruity smell and taste to it. Im assuming this is a Temp Issue, or the beer just needed some more time.

I was planning on brewing a 7 gallon batch, but that has stopped till i solve the problem.

So here is my issue:
I have two rooms that stay at constant temps. Room #1 is the one I brewed the Mr. beer in. Im afraid with a 7 gallon batch might get a lot warmer than the 2 gallon batch.

Or

Room #2, the basement, which stays a constant temp in the low 60*F.

Suggestions?

IMO to brew a successful beer: Make a yeast starter and control your fermentation temperature. What are you going to brew for your 7 gallon batch? Why not just brew a 5 gallon batch? I would put my carboy in the basement with a healthy yeast starter. Leave for 3-4 weeks then rack to bottle or keg.

IMO to brew a successful beer: Make a yeast starter and control your fermentation temperature. What are you going to brew for your 7 gallon batch? Why not just brew a 5 gallon batch? I would put my carboy in the basement with a healthy yeast starter. Leave for 3-4 weeks then rack to bottle or keg.

( its acctually a 1x2gallon brew, and a 1x5gallon brew....i have two fermentors )

k + 1 for basment.

What is an IDEA Ambient room temp to brew in? just curious.

It really depends on the yeast. I generally ferment ale yeast anywhere between 68-72 and lager yeast between 50-53 or so.

It really depends on the yeast. I generally ferment ale yeast anywhere between 68-72 and lager yeast between 50-53 or so.

thats my problem. 1 room is too warm....and the other room im afraid is too cold, and the yeast might go dormant and not finish the final process of cleaning up.

Its going to be trial by error, but Id rather get some view points first.

What are the temps in the rooms? When yeast are fermenting they generate heat so the carboy will be a few degrees warmer than the room temp. Maybe if room 2 isn't too cold ferment in there and wrap the carboy with towels / blankets.

Just left the meter down in room #2 for 30 min.....62*f.....and it stays pretty consistant. So i think I will keep it there, and if i need to heat it up, take brettg20 advice, and just cover it up.

If you want to control ferm temps and you don't have a ferm chamber yet, try a water bath. Place the fermenter in a rubbermaid tub and fill it most of the way with water. If you need to increase temp, drop in an aquarium heater (measure the water volume and ask the aquarium store for the proper wattage) If you need to reduce temp, drop in a few frozen PET water bottles. Swapping out the bottles every so often is a pain but will give you better beer. And, BTW, check the specs for the yeast strain you used. Some yeasts throw fruity esters, so it may not be a flaw at all!!!

If you are worried about the basement being to cold you could always get a brew belt and put it on your carboy. They are pretty cheap and would solve your problem with the upstairs being too warm.

Ales can ferment in the lower 60s without much trouble. Go too high and you get fruity esters and other stuff you don't want. The yeast will work more slowly, but they will work more cleanly. Let it go two to three weeks (three is better) before messing with it.

I would put the carboy/bucket on top of something like an old towel folded several times, just to keep it off the cold concrete. Just make sure it's stable. Other than that, you shouldn't have any worries.

Back