Temp Spike

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garmoni

Reaction score
Brewed my first IPA this weekend. Used Nottingham yeast. Was fermenting away at around 68 degrees and my air conditioner went out. Last night the temp spiked up to 72 degrees. AC has been fixed and I have the temp back down to around 66 degrees. Is this batch ruined now? Is there anything I need to do or watch out for?

It is most certainly not ruined. The temp spike may cause potential off flavors due to the production of fusel alcohols. My recommendation is to not rely of ambient temperatures on fermenting beer. The first 4 days to a week are critical in this respect as this is when most of the active fermentation occurs. During "active fermentation" I always stick my fermenters into a swamp cooler and take no chances.

Yep, I had and still have the swamp cooler running. It helped but couldn't overcome the heat yesterday.

Not anything to stress over. If it had been a couple days and not a long time at that temp, don't lose any sleep over it

How many days had it fermented before spiking up in temp? I raise all my beers at the end of fermentation (usually days 3-5) to about 70 to help the yeast finish and as for a diacetyl rest. Off flavors from warm temps come early in fermentation, so I bet you are fine.

Back