Temp Question for Yeast/Aplfewien

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

endless889

Reaction score
first off a big hello to you homebrewers. i'm a newbie 5 gallon maker converting from doing a year or so of the mr.beer basics. friends of mine finally got me to upgrade and GLAD i did. with that, i'm starting to get more into the process and fine tuning fundamentals (which i know vary pending certain recipes)

with that said, my basement hold a temp ranfge of normall 60/61 and can float to 63-65 tops. what's the general rule of thumb for having it go to cold for yeast to become inactive? below 60 right? this apfelwein recipe said to use a dry wine yeast with the apple juice/corn starch for 74 degrees for a few weeks...my friends said they do theres at 65 ...am i too low or looking fine in the basement where i would like to just leave my carboys/fermenters accordingly?

looking forward to making up some wicked personal recipes that i'd be glad to share once i really get going.

jay

ps: in one carboy aplfewein in another secondary young's choco stout clone (seemed fine at basement temp fermenting - 61 degrees)

Every yeast is different, lager yeasts go down into the 50's. I think 60 may be a bit low for apfelwine, but you need to look at the yeast recommendation, I think the yeast I use for mine is a montrachet wine yeast, and its operational range is 60-80 per the morebeer site. But it totally depends on your specific yeast.

is was actually red star. i'll have to go back and look at the label again. just nailing down some basics (learning from experience) and moving forward. i don't know if i'm addicted to beer or the art of brewing beer :)

Latest posts

Back