Temp probe issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red_Rhino

Reaction score
On my original build I made my own cables following the instructions from theelectricbrewery.com. After running into issues with the cables not working from time to time or ordered the premade ones from Auber Instruments. ( http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_15&products_id=269) These worked flawlessly the first three batches I ran through, but on my last batch I had two cables stop working. I know it’s the cables and not the PID’s because when I switch the cables around the PID’s are accurate. When I called Auber instruments they suggested that I re-solder the connections inside the cable. I just purchased these and I think that re-soldering these all the time is ridiculous.

Has anyone else ran into issues with these and what did you do to fix it. I’m thinking about soldering the wire directly to the probe and making my own in-line disconnects.
Thanks!

IMG_0342.jpg

brewpic.jpg

I would just try what they say and if it still doesn't work you should send it back and get new ones..I woulnt mess with those RTD cables much.

there isn't one...What I meant was I wouldn't try and fix it yourself.

I have some probes with those connectors on them. I don't care for them. The pins inside them are too small, and prone to corrosion which makes them flakey. I'd try eliminating one of the connectors, hardwire the PID end and just leave one connector at the kettle side. Not ideal... IMO, a bigger, self wiping connector should be used for those type of probes. Like maybe a trailer light connector or Anderson power pole type thing.

I have some probes with those connectors on them. I don't care for them. The pins inside them are too small, and prone to corrosion which makes them flakey. I'd try eliminating one of the connectors, hardwire the PID end and just leave one connector at the kettle side. Not ideal... IMO, a bigger, self wiping connector should be used for those type of probes. Like maybe a trailer light connector or Anderson power pole type thing.

I was thinking the same thing...just resolderd it for now

thumbnail_IMG_0657[1].jpg

Back