Temp of freezer while fridge is a fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlingy

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was thinking about using my beer fridge as a fermentation chamber for an IPA, probably around 65F. I know lots of y'all do this and was wondering what kind of temps the freezer will see? It's just a basic cheap fridge, and I'd have it on a STC-1000 controller with temp sensor in a thermowell in the center of the fermentation.

It'll be very warm in the freezer. You won't be able to reliably use it for anything temperature-related until you're no longer fermenting at normal ferm temps.

I have a refrigerator/freezer in my garage. When it's summer the fridge works as normal. In the winter, when the garage gets into the upper 30s in there, the fridge doesn't run much if at all. Because of that, the freezer compartment ends up in the 30s as well.

It can be done theoretically with some models. If you use your STC to control the damper between the two the freezer will run as normal and the STC will open the damper when cooling is needed. The damper is not sealed all that well so this may not even work but its an idea. I wish I would have tried this before ripping the damper out(accidentally) in my ferm fridge/freezer. I tested the damper controller and when 110 was applied it would open and stay open, when no power was applied it would shut via a spring.

Latest posts

Back