Temp Issues During First Ever Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am lagering for the first time ever, an Oktoberfest (Märzen) Lager. I had temperature issues, which I resolved by figuring out problems with my DIY “glycol” chiller. I am curious as to what downstream effects these temperature spikes will have on the final product. Any suggestions would be great. You can see the Tilt chart from Brewfather attached.

Thanks,
Josh

Attachments

• 18DDBCB0-DFF4-422E-895D-DFA1771ECC21.png
    18DDBCB0-DFF4-422E-895D-DFA1771ECC21.png
    584.7 KB · Views: 0
Which yeast strain are you using? 34/70 would likely shrug that off whereas S-23 would seize the opportunity to make fruit cocktail.

The key thing is this: you were out of the lag phase and ~1/3 of the way toward TG, so I'm sure you're fine. You were out of the phases of fermentation where yeast throw most of their esters--it's a bit more complicated than that, but it's good enough to say you're good. Best of all, your yeast kept going despite the spike upward and the hard crash downward.

Lastly, that's a good, quick, healthy fermentation curve. Doubly so, considering that this is your first lager fermentation. My first lager fermentation dragged on for three weeks...but that was back in the stone age.

Nice work.

It was a couple hours.DAYUMM... this new breed of brewers is so spaz about oxidation, fruitiness, and other problems they forget humans have been making good beer for at least a day or 2.

Did you do a couple of days at 68F for a diacetly rest before laugering? If not you may want to reheat and hold it there for 36 hours or so before chilling to 32F-34F

Back