Temp Help Fast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

chrisbarnes5000

Reaction score
So I decided to go back to all grain this weekend. I heated my strike water to warm my MLT and I was waiting for it to cool. Then I thought I better check my thermometer with another. It was off. I grabbed another and it was different still. I no have four themoms in the water and I am trying to figure the best way to make sure my strike water is 164. With all of the thermoms (one electric and three dial) I am getting a range in temps from 175 to 137. How can I make sure the water is the right temp?

Clonefarmer

Reaction score
So I decided to go back to all grain this weekend. I heated my strike water to warm my MLT and I was waiting for it to cool. Then I thought I better check my thermometer with another. It was off. I grabbed another and it was different still. I no have four themoms in the water and I am trying to figure the best way to make sure my strike water is 164. With all of the thermoms (one electric and three dial) I am getting a range in temps from 175 to 137. How can I make sure the water is the right temp?

You can check them in boiling water it boils at 212 f or 100 c.

BigEd

Reaction score
Boil some water and see which thermometer is closest to 212F. Then use that one.

OP
OP
chrisbarnes5000

chrisbarnes5000

Reaction score
Did and no the electric one and the dial that I checked against each other are different again.

OP
OP
chrisbarnes5000

chrisbarnes5000

Reaction score
Thanks! I hope it will work out. I fugure with 4 thermoms I can get close. And in the future I am dumping the dial thermoms for a good mercury one.

Clonefarmer

Reaction score
I use a glass mercury free floating beer & wine thermometer it works pretty good, albeit slowly.

Does the electric thermo have a way to calibrate it.?

OP
OP
chrisbarnes5000

chrisbarnes5000

Reaction score
Not that I can figure out. SWMBO does catering and it is hers. It is one of the ones with alarms and a probe on a long lead. It is real nice just way too complicated for me.

And BTW CloneFarmer I am from MA and had a lot of family in Springfield. I myself am from East Longmeadow.

OP
OP
chrisbarnes5000

chrisbarnes5000

Reaction score
Just added the grain. As far as I can tell I hit 153 just perfect. I am making beer come hell or high water or crappy thermoms.

Thanks for all of your help!

Clonefarmer

Reaction score
Not that I can figure out. SWMBO does catering and it is hers. It is one of the ones with alarms and a probe on a long lead. It is real nice just way too complicated for me.

And BTW CloneFarmer I am from MA and had a lot of family in Springfield. I myself am from East Longmeadow.

I am originally from the chicopee/South hadley area, but I now live less than 5 min from the east longmeadow townline.

GunnerMan

Reaction score
Whats the worst that can happen...you mash to hot and add some beano later or mash to cold and add some malto dextrin :p

OP
OP
chrisbarnes5000

chrisbarnes5000

Reaction score
Or failing either of those I mash incorrectly and live with it. I will take it as a learning experience. I learned that hot side temp pisses me off. (I just say that cause I just cooled down bwlow 80 in about 10 mins.) :ban:

The best thing I ever heard was that barley wants to become beer. I belive it!