Temp Help Fast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbarnes5000

Reaction score
So I decided to go back to all grain this weekend. I heated my strike water to warm my MLT and I was waiting for it to cool. Then I thought I better check my thermometer with another. It was off. I grabbed another and it was different still. I no have four themoms in the water and I am trying to figure the best way to make sure my strike water is 164. With all of the thermoms (one electric and three dial) I am getting a range in temps from 175 to 137. How can I make sure the water is the right temp?

So I decided to go back to all grain this weekend. I heated my strike water to warm my MLT and I was waiting for it to cool. Then I thought I better check my thermometer with another. It was off. I grabbed another and it was different still. I no have four themoms in the water and I am trying to figure the best way to make sure my strike water is 164. With all of the thermoms (one electric and three dial) I am getting a range in temps from 175 to 137. How can I make sure the water is the right temp?

You can check them in boiling water it boils at 212 f or 100 c.

Boil some water and see which thermometer is closest to 212F. Then use that one.

Thanks! I hope it will work out. I fugure with 4 thermoms I can get close. And in the future I am dumping the dial thermoms for a good mercury one.

I use a glass mercury free floating beer & wine thermometer it works pretty good, albeit slowly.

Does the electric thermo have a way to calibrate it.?

Not that I can figure out. SWMBO does catering and it is hers. It is one of the ones with alarms and a probe on a long lead. It is real nice just way too complicated for me.

And BTW CloneFarmer I am from MA and had a lot of family in Springfield. I myself am from East Longmeadow.

Just added the grain. As far as I can tell I hit 153 just perfect. I am making beer come hell or high water or crappy thermoms.

Thanks for all of your help!

Not that I can figure out. SWMBO does catering and it is hers. It is one of the ones with alarms and a probe on a long lead. It is real nice just way too complicated for me.

And BTW CloneFarmer I am from MA and had a lot of family in Springfield. I myself am from East Longmeadow.

I am originally from the chicopee/South hadley area, but I now live less than 5 min from the east longmeadow townline.

Whats the worst that can happen...you mash to hot and add some beano later or mash to cold and add some malto dextrin :p

Or failing either of those I mash incorrectly and live with it. I will take it as a learning experience. I learned that hot side temp pisses me off. (I just say that cause I just cooled down bwlow 80 in about 10 mins.) :ban:

The best thing I ever heard was that barley wants to become beer. I belive it!

Back