Temp Drop Fermentation Stall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CastorRJ1

Reaction score
Woke up this morning to a crisp 55-degree temperature in my house...furnace went out last night, and outdoor temps dropped into the 20's here in Pittsburgh.

I just transferred a mini-mash batch of Oatmeal Stout from primary to secondary last night before bed (and before the furnace died). OG was 1.060 and SG at rack was 1.020. Fermentation was still bubbling away prior to rack. Target FG is supposed to be somewhere between 1.016-1.020. Racked at 1.020 assuming that fermentation would continue in secondary and drop below the 1.020 mark.

With the temperature drop in the house, is it possible that my fermentation may have stalled in the secondary?

If so, any way to kick it back to life?

You'll be fine. When you get the furnace back up, the beer will warm gradually with the house and any dormant yeasties will wake up and finish. Depending on your strain, I doubt they all went to sleep at 55. Better than the AC going out in the summer :)

Edit:
Most of us don't use a secondary, except for bulk aging, oak and sometimes dry hopping. Check out this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/secondary-not-john-palmer-jamil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/
No need to worry, just know that it probably isn't necessary for next time.

Letting it go back to warmer temps will wake up any yeast that went to sleep in the cold, nothing really to worry about. You might want to gently give the fermenter a nudge once teps have risen to kick the yeast back into suspension.

You'll be fine. If your house got to 55 over night, it would take a while for your beer to stabilize at that temp. Either way, I often let my beers ferment around 62F, raise naturally to 67F, then drop to about 58F or so. And they're good :)

Awesome responses, everyone. Thanks for the input.

Is it wrong that I was more concerned about the beer than the furnace? ;-)

Latest posts

Back