Temp controller recommend - have any ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveoatley

someone has to fail, so the rest of you look good
Reaction score
Hey HBT...

I am looking for a Second temp controller for fermentation
And i am looking for some recommendations

1 - I have this - the Black Box
http://www.blackboxbrew.com/store/the-black-box-30

I like it, it works great - its just a PITA to program
I'm no STC-1000+ programmer - i'm an idiot
I have to watch the program videos each time i program it.....

2- This is why i am looking at theses Two
A. Ink Bird
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BV24MUO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

No programming, just set the temp where you want it to stick
No ramps, to figuring 24 hrs x 7 days is 168 hrs, and a 2 day ramp is 48 hrs

Easy - idiot proof as i seem to be pretty stupid when it comes to programming the PIDS

Or this
B.Ohmbrew
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EWJHWPG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

total programming - but can be done on a laptop, and loaded in a SD card.
Problem is the user groups on the website all complain about lack of support from the builder/programmer.
He still has full time job to support family - whats that all about !?
and has lacked in real support for the product.

So, do yous HBT brewers have a better suggestions ???

Please no WiFi enabled, i gotta set up on the home network, but can watch from my phone Kickstarter gear.
Simple is better at this point.

I need it to be plug an play - must work outta the box
Not gonna build it my self

Thanks for the suggestions in advanced
:mug:

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I have several inkbird ITC that I purchased cheap($20) I also have a $100 auber controller that i found used. Side by side taped to the same Carboy there is a .2 degree difference.

The inkbirds are a solid product. 2 of the 4 I have used needed to be calibrated a bit in ice water before using.

I'm confused. The STC-1000 is SUPER easy. I have one for my ferm chamber. You just have to convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit. A little easy wiring in the box....what do think you need to program?

I'm confused. The STC-1000 is SUPER easy. I have one for my ferm chamber. You just have to convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit. A little easy wiring in the box....what do think you need to program?

The custom firmware, STC-1000+, has more features than the stock firmware.
You can check it out here if interested.

I have two Inkbird 308's and a Thermostar from NB. Hands down I'd pick the Inkbird, and considering it is half the price, the deal is even better.

Inkbird 308 is cheap and simple. I have the 308 for my keezer and the 310T for fermenter so i can do ramp ups. But the 308 is perfectly fine and simple for just setting a single temp.

Thanks for everyone for their input

I will probably go with the InkBird for my Ales

And the Black Box for my Lagers
http://www.blackboxbrew.com/store/the-black-box-30

The Black Box programming is cool, and helpful for a Lagering...
Bring up to 70 for Dyacital rest - cold crash after that x 10 days

But too complicated for a simple Ale, i want 67 F for 10 days
then 40 for cold crash - too much programming, and i always seem to screw it up.

Thanks

Steve

I use STC-1000 simply because the InkBird wasn't around at that time. If I were to buy another I'd go with the InkBird. Looks like a nice solution and has all of the features/settings you'd need to maintain temperature.

The STC-1000 is very easy to use, so don't that that deter you. There is some wiring DIY work involved however. I love DIY projects so it was fun for me. Mine ended up looking similar to the Black Box, but doesn't have the additional neat settings he added.

I also have a Black Box. I successfully set the program for a lager once. The next time not so successful. I have not been able to get it to work properly. I have though about contacting the co. to see if they will look at it and see if it is working properly. But I don't want to spend the $$ on shipping.

So I bought an Inkbird. It is much easier to set up though it will not run a multiple temperature profile on it's own.

I also have a Johnson A419. The Inkbird seems easier.

I thought you wanted simple? Now you say you want the black box for setting different temps at different times for lagers.

Granted i dont know if theres anything better about the black box but the Inkbird 310T can do what you describe (up to 6 temperature settings with 6 different time settings applied to each, can use the extra program functionality or not) for $55 off amazon.

I have an Inkbird, an analog Johnson controller I've had for over 15 years, a digital Johnson A419 controller, and I built an STC-1000 based controller and would recommended any of them although I no longer use the analog controller.

The easiest to program is the Inkbird followed by the A419 but none of them are difficult. I sometimes have to be reminded how to program the STC 1K but I keep a small laminated sheet with C to F conversions and quick programming instructions on it right next to the controller for those senior moments. Easy peasy.

I don't understand the issue with the Black Box (or any SCT 1000+ enabled box) , you program a profile once and re-use it by running any of the profiles. I have one for IPA's, APA's, Lager's, etc... Just pick a profile and run. If you use the profile builder spread sheet, you can visualize the program much easier, and print them and keep them with your notes so you know which one's to use later for which beer.

I don't understand the issue with the Black Box (or any SCT 1000+ enabled box) , you program a profile once and re-use it by running any of the profiles. I have one for IPA's, APA's, Lager's, etc... Just pick a profile and run. If you use the profile builder spread sheet, you can visualize the program much easier, and print them and keep them with your notes so you know which one's to use later for which beer.

Well DUh..... if i had done that in advance of fermenting !!! :D ( joking ! )

I should have done that..... and only used PRO 1 for Ales and PRO 2 for my Hefe's .............etc.

But that would have required me to program all 6 ahead of time
and........that could have taken me days !!!! I'm not the smartest knife in the drawer

The visual spreadsheet - looks just like a water report to me.... gobly gook

Steve

Maybe i just need someone to teach me the spread sheet ??

S

Back