Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreed

Reaction score
I just got a chest freezer and I am going to convert it into a Keezer. I am just not sure on which way to go for temp control. Any suggests or advice would be greatful.

How technically inclined are you? Johnson controller is more expensive but ready to go out of the box. The opposite end of the spectrum would be an STC-1000, much more affordable but required some wiring and setup.

I have an stc-1000 and a cheaper knock off version the mh 1210.

As mentioned they need to be wired and boxed so this can push up the price and it also takes an hour or two.

They do both work well, I prefer the STC as it automatically switches between heating and cooling where the 1210 needs to be reprogrammed, which shouldn't be a problem with a keezer but would be a pain for fermentation control.

If you're keen on reading farenheit, the ITC-1000 is the same as the STC-1000, the difference being it displays farenheit.

I should mention that I have no electrical background whatsoever and I was able to wire my ITC-1000 easily following online instructions. Works perfectly. One of those things where I can say, "if I can do it, you can do it, too!"

I used raspberry pi and a bunch of 1-wire probes, in liquid, in air and ambient outside. The cool thing is you can wire them in series. It is a cheaper, better and more extensible solution imho, but does need some coding (python for me) and wiring geekiness. Nothing youtube cant teach you! I streamed the live feed on web/phones using plot.ly graphs and showed them via apple tv on a screen in the fermentation room.

I saw a post about a firmware flash for the STC-1000 the allowed for profiles.'
Does anyone know if this flash would work on the ITC-1000?

Latest posts

Back