Temp control for Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayday99

Reaction score
Hello all,

Recently picked up a Haier Brewmaster keg fridge off ebay. No problem with the temp getting cold enough, but the thermostat seems a little inconsistent. To make matters worse, the thermostat is on the lower right outside of the refrigerator, which happens to be in a corner against my wall, so I need to move the refrigerator to adjust the temp.

I added a computer fan to keep the air circulating, but with the fan on it somehow makes the compressor come on more often and I saw that the air temp was all the way down to 26 at some point! (I have an old weather station monitoring temps in the fridge, it records high and low temps)

So, I was thinking about cranking the thermostat to the coldest setting and adding a Johnson a419 controller. I know people do this with freezers, but I wonder if it will pose a problem with accuracy seeing that the controller will not be wired directly into the compressor.

Also, for the fan, what is the best location for it? Right now I have it in the rear of the fridge where the cooling element is, blowing straight out towards the front of the kegerator. I initially had it cooling my tower, but think it is more useful in this configuration.

Assuming I get the Johnson, I was planning on putting the probe down through the tower so that it doesn't mess up the seal on the fridge. Figured I would use some electrical tape to tape it against one of the side walls.

Any advice is appreciated, glad I have this bastion of knowledge to call on!:tank:

It shouldn't effect the compressor at all. Does't really matter where you put the fan, as such a small space should create airflow. I'd tape the temp probe to the side of one of your kegs.

Back