Temp control for a large fermentation vessels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marvin_yorke

Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm planning to go bigger soon, expanding my fermentation vessels, but what bothers me, is how to cool them during the fermentation process?
Currently I'm using a fridge like this
C5G_canopy2l1_enl.gif

with an STC-1000 temp controller. I can fit two 12-gal buckets inside and it keeps them down at low 60's reasonably well.

Now I'd like to have like couple of 1-2bbl vessels but currently I have no idea how to cool them. Even one of them doesn't seem to fit into the freezer and if I'll get ones with a cooling jacket/coil, I'll need some means for cooling the cooling medium that will circulate through the jacket/coil?

Could anyone please give an advice on how can I control temperature of the vessel this big on a budget?

Hi guys! I'm planning to go bigger soon, expanding my fermentation vessels, but what bothers me, is how to cool them during the fermentation process?
Currently I'm using a fridge like this

with an STC-1000 temp controller. I can fit two 12-gal buckets inside and it keeps them down at low 60's reasonably well.

Now I'd like to have like couple of 1-2bbl vessels but currently I have no idea how to cool them. Even one of them doesn't seem to fit into the freezer and if I'll get ones with a cooling jacket/coil, I'll need some means for cooling the cooling medium that will circulate through the jacket/coil?

Could anyone please give an advice on how can I control temperature of the vessel this big on a budget?

How bout one of them big chest freezers? Will they fit in there?

walk-in cooler. :D Seriously, you might be able to put your soon-to-be "old" fermentation vessels to use to hold the cooling solution in your fridge so you can circulate it. You'll have to work out a way to get the cooling liquid out of the fridge though. Might just have to put ports through the front door of the fridge and run the liquid out of the front.

Newsman, that's just what I was thinking about. Just wanted someone else to say this :) but have anyone tried such approach in practice? Generally it should work, but I'm not quite sure that the efficiency will be high enough. Although I'll probably give it a try. Another question is, when the necessary temp in the fermentation vessel is achieved, do I stop circulating a coolant or rather stop cooling it, while still pumping it through a jacket?

Just some ideas, you don't have to go so far with the automation like the first one but it's a pretty cool idea. I'm going to build one at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The fridge won't cool the liquid fast enough while pumping it through the fermenter and when the cooling medium heard up from being pumped out it takes longer for that heat to heat the air and force the fridge on where the probe from the ac unit in the glycol solution forces it to cycle faster keeping the cooling medium temp more constant

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back