Temp Control and Management of Multiple Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcastil

Reaction score
About two weeks ago I put a fermentation chamber together, with a large 20 cu. ft. chest freezer and a Johnson temperature controller.

I typically brew once every two weeks and let my beers sit on the yeast for about a month. I brewed an imperial stout about a week and a half ago using a Wyeast 1056 American ale yeast and fermented it at 62 degrees. By the time I got around to brewing again, all of the vigorous fermentation was finished and I would imagine that the yeast has moved into the secondary stage.

So, this past weekend, I brewed an IPA using a culture of Rogue Pacman yeast, which I had harvested from a few bottles and stepped up until I had enough to make a starter. About 24 hours before the brew day, I made a starter with what I had harvested and then after brewing, I cooled it down to around 60 F, decanted it, and pitched it into my wort.

This is my question: Since I only have one fermentation chamber, I really want to keep both in a controlled temperature environment. I currently have both beers in my chest freezer, with the Pacman strain fermenting at 60 F. This means that the imperial stout is probably in the 56-60 F range. Ultimately, I want to keep the Pacman strain at 60 F until primary fermentation is complete (around 10 days). Is there any problem with keeping the imperial stout that low for a week or two while the Pacman strain ferments out and then raising the temperature to the mid 60s and letting them sit for another couple of weeks before bottling?

Anyone else have any advice on temperature control after primary fermentation is finished? I have a room in my basement that stays ~70 which is probably fine for bottle and bulk conditioning, but I'd like to leave my beer in the chest freezer until i'm ready to bottle or move to a secondary for bulk aging (e.g., the imperial stout is going to get bulk-aged until October).

If the stout is truly done fermenting you'll be OK, but if it still had some to go you may have put the yeast to sleep. I would have taken it out of the keezer and left it in a cool spot in the basement. It should re-awaken if needed at a higher temp.

zacster said:
If the stout is truly done fermenting you'll be OK, but if it still had some to go you may have put the yeast to sleep. I would have taken it out of the keezer and left it in a cool spot in the basement. It should re-awaken if needed at a higher temp.

+1

If it is 100% down then it will be fine. Lowering the temp might drop the yeast out quicker which will help clear it but it also might remove too much yeast before they are done cleaning up.

I would take it out and let it sit somewhere that is cool...maybe around 65 to 70. Primary stage is when you have to worry about temp controller. If it is out of that stage then raising the temp a few degrees is OK.

Thanks guys.

I haven't been taking any gravity readings, so I have no idea where it was in the fermentation phase when I dropped the temp down a few degrees. Visible fermentation was vigorous and stopped after about 5 days or so, but that doesn't really mean much.

I have a room where I store all my bottles that is in the mid 70s right now, but I'm a little nervous about moving it in there. If I wait until the Pacman yeast is more or less finished and then raise the temps up to 64 or so, would that be sufficient? Or should I move the stout into my room in the mid 70s?

That room has some relatively mild temperature fluctuations (probably 5 degrees) but the temperature here in Colorado has been really hot lately and I'm not sure how high it gets during those type of days.

Back