Temp control after bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frothdaddy

Reaction score
I put my carboy in water with some ice to keep it at proper fermentation temp. Otherwise, it'll probably ferment at 72F-75F.

I've already bottled my first batch, but I'm wondering if I should keep the bottles in the water too, since obviously they are fermenting a little bit more to add carbonation. If so, how long should they be temp controlled, and when can I just keep them at room temp to condition them?

If you can keep the bottles cool easily I'd do it, but I wouldn't go through the trouble of putting them in ice water, there's very little fermentation going on with carbonation and it shouldn't give you much off flavors.

Yea when the think about the time/effort it is to de-label, clean, sanitize, fill, and the cap bottled beer....the extra time and effort in keeping the bottles cool in ice water would drive me crazy. Cap them, box them, forget them...for a few weeks :)

Gentlemen,

The owner of 'Homebrew Headquarters' in north Dallas, old 'Kelly',
said:
Once the ale is bottled,
'room temperature' is fine.
Now I imagine there are folks here in Texas,
who don't have air conditioned houses,
I used-to-didn't myself.
People didn't live in Texas before air conditioners were invented,
not many of-em, or not for long.
Cooler down in San Luis Potosi!

But once the stuff is in a bottle...
in fact my chinese thermometor in my brewery never says other then 72!
Hmmmm

Later Y'all

jacksknifeshop.tripod.com

Back