Tell of your past brewer self.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATXweirdobrew

Reaction score
Ok, so here is the scenario. If you could go back in time and tell yourself anything when you first started brewing what would you tell yourself. I would tell myself to slow down, relax, and keep it easy.

Jeremy512 said:
I would tell myself to slow down, relax, and keep it easy.

Ya that's exactly what id tell myself.

My first beer was was a high alc wood aged stout that had way to much chocolate malt.

Here's a couple things I'd tell myslef:

"save the $ on the immersion chiller. You're going to No-Chill and make perfectly great beer".

"Get into Kegging ASAP".

"Leave it on the yeast for at least 3 weeks".

Those are mine!

"You have reached your hop quota already!"

and

"The most important ingredient is the yeast with fermentation temperature being the most critical aspect"

It will be cheaper to buy a freezer and temp control than try to keep the A/C running at 70 when it is 105F out side. And your beers are actually still fermenting at ~75F wort temp.

As some have already mentioned, "control fermentation temp and understand your yeast."

A close second would be "go ahead and buy it now. You'll buy it eventually anyway."

1. Stop substituting ingredients.
2. Go directly to all grain.
3. Get your ingredients at BMW.
4. Go directly into kegging.
5. Get 2 large freezers! Skip the small one.

This process goes incredibly smoothly when you stay sober. You make mistakes and lose the ability to do math and follow your hop schedule when drinking.

Also, wash and reuse that yeast. Don't just dump it.

I would also tell myself to build my fermentation chamber ASAP AS IN RIGHT NOW SUCKER!!!!

Also, get your math right about calculating your ABV. It is damn near impossible to have a Hefe that is 15% ABV.

keep the grain bill simple
don't get excited and open the bottles after 5 days conditioning
save up and buy a kegging system (still working on that one)

Very true, I am working on getting the components for e kegging system now. I wish I had though about it earlier but I thought putting the money into a fermentation chamber was more important for now.

- Buy grains in bulk, you like beer and will continue to make it for a long time
- Go to all grain immmmmeediately!
- Less drinking when brewing = smoother brew day

I'd like to go back and tell my non-brewer self - you can do eet mang. Should have started a long time ago.

I would STOP RELAX AND HAVE A HOMEBREW, but I had never made it before!! Thanks Charlie....

"Disregard the directions on the yeast packet/pouch/vial, get online and find out what your yeast REALLY wants from you."

1. Search craigslist for gear. Its much cheaper
2. Buy in group buys.
3. Avoid unreliable brewing buddies.
4. Keg. Don't bottle.
5. You're wife is completely accepting of your hobby as long as you keep her supply line going.
6. Fermentation temp is a world of difference.
7. Stick to 5 gallon batches until you know you love that type of beer.

Buy a kegeraor like now!!! I hated bottling so bad it made me sto brewing 3 different times. I'm already a food ways into my first ever legged beer and it's only been in there for 2 days.

The next thing I would tell my now brewing self is slow down....... Patience is a virtue I need to find.

- Don't worry about keeping my hands clean so much
- Use starsan instead of BTF because it is so much more effective, flexible and won't stain stuff. Lease parts in starsan until I need them.
- wait for HBT to exist and read it
- Go all grain to save money, brew a lot more often and on my own to use up bored time, and go back in time to introduce myself to homebrewing sooner to head off many more bored days.

I see a number of brewers that have say 5 solid years of experience and wish I had given myself that amount of experience when I could have.

My messages to my 1995 brewing self:

1. Almost every beginner wants to make a strawberry blonde ale. Almost all fail.
  2. Don't make starters for dry yeast.
  3. Do make starters for liquid yeast.
  4. Gelatin is a great clarifier.
  5. Stop brewing on the stovetop ASAP.
  6. Aeration is a good thing.
  7. Don't stop brewing for a decade. You'll miss it more than you know.

-Get into AG after your first few batches, it's not as hard as you build it up to be.
-Build a fermentation chamber sooner, it will make a difference.
-QUICK, TURN AROUND! YOUR ABOUT TO HAVE A BOIL OVER!!! (now never brew in the wife's kitchen again!)

Latest posts

Back