Tell me why I can't use wood for control panel.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJim_inFLA

Reaction score
I'm still in the planning stages of building my all electric brew rig. I am shamelessly stealing many great ideas from those who have posted here. One thing I see in many build threads is the trouble many have drilling and machining steel control panel boxes. I also don't particularly care for the industrial styling, even after painting they look like something that belongs in the shop, not in my home. The larger control panels also can be quite pricey, even on ebay.

So I was thinking of building my own with some nice wood, dovetail joints, polished brass hinges and latches. I can easily make it to the exact size I need. Machining and drilling for the controls and connectors would be a breeze. Properly finished with polyurethane and using a gasket on the lid would make it at least water resistant. I think it would also look much better and match the wooden brew rig I am building to hold my keggles. Is there something I'm missing or is this a workable solution for my control panel?

It will work fine as long as everything is electrically sound. The metal box provides a few nice features.

1) a grounding spot for the internal controls
2) convenience of already being built
3) they generally come with back plates to mount everything and then attach inside box.

It's primarily convenience of be readily available and not having to build one.

There is definitely an easily workable solution for your control panel. I like the idea of matching your control panel with your brew rig (mine do, too), so I hope you choose to go for it. It sounds like you're an experienced woodworker, but make sure you're just as good with circuits. What I mean is just make sure you have proper wiring and grounding systems and a GFCI breaker.

I like it! I would add a steel plate to mount everything to on the inside so it is easier to ground.

Go for it and post some pictures!

PS: electrical disclosure. I am not an electrician, always consult a qualified professional and take my advice with a grain of salt.

Biggest problem I see is the thickness of the "panel" to mount the switches and such that will be facing/accessable to the outside. I considered wood too for the same reasons and the same sort of stylings. Ended up working with metal.

I have some 1/8" aluminum plate that I could use for the removable back plate. This would also allow for easy grounding of the internals. How thick of a panel can typical control switches be mounted to? I can always mill the back of the panel to make it thinner, as long as the remaining material is strong enough to support the switches during use. I may have to pick up a few switches to see if this is feasible.

Depends on the switch, but a 1/4" thick panel would be at the outside I believe. I thought about using a Plexi plate for the panel side with wood surround. I ended up gutting an IBM computer tower.

My mind jumps to the fact wood is flammable and steel is not. IF for some reason something fails and you get a short things could overheat and wood will burn. Steel will contain any fire. NOT that a fire is expected but things happen. You could do a veneer on a steel panel, if you don't like the appearance

This can easily be done. I have a metal enclosure with a maple faceplate, but could have easily done it all in wood. I'd use plywood for strength, or laminate your own veneers. Use a good spar varnish and/or epoxy resin, although the latter can be tricky to use but is applied correctly and wet sanded and buffed its as clear as glass and super durable.

Back