Tell me what to brew this weekend!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruce_the_loon

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, here it is. I can't decide what to brew this weekend, so ideas please. I have the following in stock (metric amounts cause I'm South African) No DIPA or IIPA please, I'm not a massive hop monster.

Grains

5kg Thomas Fawcett Marris Otter malt 4-6 EBC
2.1kg SAB Maltings 2 row pale malt 4-6 EBC
1kg Thomas Fawcett Crystal 120 -140 EBC
760g BestMalz Caramel Light Crystal 20-40 EBC
960g BestMalz Chocolate Malt 800-1000 EBC
810g Castle Chateau Biscuit Malt 50 EBC
550g Weyermann CaraAmber 60-80 EBC

Hops

100g Fuggles
65g Cascade
80g Southern Aroma
34g Southern Promise
74g Willamette

What yeast have you got? If you've any English I'd do a bitter of whatever strength you want. 85% MO, 3% C120, 5% Biscuit, 7% light crystal. Bitter it with whatever and use fuggles mid boil and willamette and just a touch of cascade at the end. I find a subtle addition of cascade really lifts an English style ale.

American brown

for 23L batch @75% mash eff.

5kg Maris Otter
1Kg 2 row
400g Crystal 140 EBC
300g Biscuit
140g Chocolate malt

28g cascade
28g williamette both at flame out

bittering hops to produce about 30 IBU's

Ferment with US05

What yeast have you got? If you've any English I'd do a bitter of whatever strength you want. 85% MO, 3% C120, 5% Biscuit, 7% light crystal. Bitter it with whatever and use fuggles mid boil and willamette and just a touch of cascade at the end. I find a subtle addition of cascade really lifts an English style ale.

This was similar to what I was going to suggest. English bitter ale, if you have the right yeast for it.

I'm thinking that's what I should brew this weekend....

Took this as a base and extended slightly, added 40g of the chocolate malt to boost the colour and maltiness. Went for Southern Promise hops instead of the Fuggles (didn't want to breach the unopened Fuggles packet) and added a spot of Willamette at the 60 minute mark, then went Willamette and Cascade at 10 minutes. Tastes decent enough and hit 84.5% mash efficiency and 1.053 OG.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Latest posts

Back