Tell me what to brew next! (poll)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should 3 Dawg Night brew next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
I have a four-tap keezer. Well, actually, it's got five taps, but I put root beer/soda on the fifth tap for the kiddos. My tap rotation (and therefore my brewing rotation) is bitter, malty, dark, and "brewer's choice." For that brewer's choice tap, I like to brew something different, often a style that I've never brewed before. This time around I decided to make it "HBT's choice." I've populated the poll with a few styles that I've never brewed before. Let me know what I should brew! The top vote-getter will be my March brew.

I picked BdG because it is different. My personal suggestion is a gose. I love the style, salty and sour, and you can do a lot with it. I've done Margarita and dill pickle both are awesome beers. :mug:

I picked BdG because it is different. My personal suggestion is a gose. I love the style, salty and sour, and you can do a lot with it. I've done Margarita and dill pickle both are awesome beers. :mug:
I haven't gotten into sours yet. They're not a stylistic favorite of mine, and I don't want to buy a second set of equipment.

When I want to brew something different I go to Northern Brewer or Adventure in Homebrewing online and look at some of their recipes. Me and my friends really likes the NB Coconut IPA and their Blackberry Milkshake IPA. Adventure in homebrewing has a good Mint Chocolate Stout and a Hazelnut/Toffee Porter that were very good.

I haven't gotten into sours yet. They're not a stylistic favorite of mine, and I don't want to buy a second set of equipment.
For a gose you don't really need a second set. I use acidulated malt to sour it with some salt in the boil. somewhere between 1 lb and 1.5 lbs of Acid malt and about 40 grams of salt are a good starting point. Sour and salty enough to know it's there, but not teeth sqeekingly sour. Of course you could also use straight lactic acid, but that will make the sourness even flatter (one dimensional) than the acid malt. Good luck. :mug:

My vote is for a good o'l fashion Munich Dunkle...use some good 34/70 or your favorite lager yeast and enjoy that bad boy come late winter/early spring!

I have a four-tap keezer. Well, actually, it's got five taps, but I put root beer/soda on the fifth tap for the kiddos.
Unrelated to your post (but I voted!) we are filling out a kegerator and upgrading to a multi tap system. I read that including a keg of root beer (specifically root beer) can leach flavors into the beer. Have you seen that happen?

Unrelated to your post (but I voted!) we are filling out a kegerator and upgrading to a multi tap system. I read that including a keg of root beer (specifically root beer) can leach flavors into the beer. Have you seen that happen?
I've only done one keg of root beer so far. I read the same as you, so I have a dedicated tap, lines, keg, etc. for rootbeer/soda. The tap is even separated from the others, so the kids don't accidently pour themselves a pint of my double IPA.

PXL_20220129_162940530.jpg

Voted for the Munich Dunkel as it a beer I have thought about brewing but never have.
Schwarzbier and Biere de Garde are the two beers on your list I have thought about brewing but never have.

If you do end up doing a bitter, keep the recipe simple perhaps a SMASH so the yeast can come through.

I still have a batch of Flanders Red sour from a couple years ago. They are good, but I just don’t drink them fast enough to tie up a keg with, so they are bottled in high pressure small Champagne type bottles and kept in one of my refrigerators.

Attachments

• EFBD64F7-01EA-4AFA-92D4-B14AA085CCB6.jpeg
    EFBD64F7-01EA-4AFA-92D4-B14AA085CCB6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • C620145A-5161-4235-AB31-E6DC66F22B55.jpeg
    C620145A-5161-4235-AB31-E6DC66F22B55.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
I choose the Biere de Garde as it’s traditionally a winter to spring type of beer. Just unsure of timing and if it will be ready in time.

I voted English bitter, because it's getting late in the winter season for the dark, big beers, yet too soon for the lighter summer beers. The bitter would be a good "shoulder season" beer; in fact, they're good any time.

It's not on the list but an Irish red would be good for St. Paddy's day.

I voted American rye. I've never brewed one either but I love rye. I've ordered ingredients for a rye lager, never even drank that beer much less brewed it.

If by chance you decide on the American rye I'd be curious to know how it turns out.

I voted American rye. I've never brewed one either but I love rye. I've ordered ingredients for a rye lager, never even drank that beer much less brewed it.

If by chance you decide on the American rye I'd be curious to know how it turns out.
I've brewed the American Wheat recipe from Brewing Classic Styles, and it was quite tasty. There's a rye version in the book as well, so if you can recruit enough voters to pull the rye into the lead, that's likely the recipe I would use.

A local brewery makes a fantastic rye IPA. I might have to try my hand at one of those one of these days!

I've brewed the American Wheat recipe from Brewing Classic Styles, and it was quite tasty. There's a rye version in the book as well, so if you can recruit enough voters to pull the rye into the lead, that's likely the recipe I would use.

A local brewery makes a fantastic rye IPA. I might have to try my hand at one of those one of these days!
Rye ipa is one of my favorite styles, and best of the IPAs (IMO). I rarely repeat beers but I've done that one three times.

I still have a batch of Flanders Red sour from a couple years ago. They are good, but I just don’t drink them fast enough to tie up a keg with, so they are bottled in high pressure small Champagne type bottles and kept in one of my refrigerators.
First, send me all your Flanders Red sours. Next, master a Munich Dunkel, make more than you can drink, and send to me. I'll get back to when I run dry regarding next brew. :mug:

i'm drinking a orange peel, amberish thing...but i'm actually in the mood for something dark....

and i has to vote for scwarzbier just so i could reference Spaceballs, and say "I see your schwarz is as beer as mine!" :mug:

Back