Tell me if I'm wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewScout

Reaction score
With some hefe yeasts it seems that lots of people get cloves at low temps and banana at high temps. It also seems when some people get sulphur they are at the low end of the temps for the yeast. So would it be a safe assumption that staying at the high end would lend more banana and less chance of sulphur? I'm using WLP380 and want as much banana as possible and least amount of sulphur?

With a vigourous fermentation any sulphur that occurs will be blown off. I get some sulphur smells when the fermentation is in its early stages, but by the time fermentation has finished there is none present in aroma or flavor. I typically ferment at the low end because I prefer the clove like phenols. So as long as you have a good fermentation you shouldn't have a thing to worry about no matter where in the yeasts temp range you decide to ferment at.

If you want the banana fermenting at the high end will encourage it, it still should be controlled and not just let to go on it's own.

Like Gduck said, the sulphur will be pretty strong early in the fermentation but it subsides and doesn't hang around in the beer.

I get a banana like smell but my temps are mid 60s. I didn't get that smell with the IPA but with porter I am. Its not a bad thing is it?

helibrewer said:
Like Gduck said, the sulphur will be pretty strong early in the fermentation but it subsides and doesn't hang around in the beer.
I wish this were entirely true. I have a wit in bottles now that was in primary for about a month and a half because the sulphur just wouldn't go away. The farts started as soon add I let my temps drop to about 65* by accident. After 2 Weeks in bottles I think it is going away slightly. Only time will tell.

Back