Tell me how to "strap" a 5lb tank to a corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloanfamilydsm

Reaction score
Here's what I got....pics to come

Needs to be able to be lifted using only the handles on the keg full.

Needs to look un-homemade

Any ideas other than the hose clamp that comes to mind?

Just use stainless strapping and a band tensioner. Or try to find some big hose clamps

Duct tape: "If you can't Duck it, F*ck it, it's broke". Of course, that will look homemade.

You could fashion a holder made of steel wire that hangs off the top... picture a bottle holder on a bike and improvise.

Neoprene keg wrap sewn/attached to neoprene fire extinguisher holder.
For a 5gal keg you do not need that large a co2 tank so suggest a paintball sized tank and fab up a little wrap that can attach to a keg wrap for a single solution.

My guess is that a number of folks here are well versed in strap on use and will give great advice

Technical thread.

Reported for being a hilarious mother fecker.:D

I vote for bungee cord wraps, silver duct tape and some bad ass spray-paint stencil work.

A cam strap will work fine. If you can't find one locally, strapworks dot com is priced well.

Duct tape: "If you can't Duck it, F*ck it, it's broke". Of course, that will look homemade.

You could fashion a holder made of steel wire that hangs off the top... picture a bottle holder on a bike and improvise.

Digging the giant wire cup holder idea off the top. Weld that **** n paint it hot pink (no stencils req).

What else ya got?

I'd use a paintball co2 tank with a regulator adapter. A 20oz is small, light and more than enough to dispense 5 gallons.

I might start by making a sort of holdster for the cylinder with pvc pipe. It is easy to cut and work with. Then figure out some way to hang it off the side of the keg. The weight may topple the keg when it gets low though. A lot of people build trash can keggers for their high brow events. I made one:

thumb2_2010-05-27_23_22_26-40883.jpg

you can see the PVC holding the cylinder.

Ok. Let's pretend I don't have a paintball co2 tank and no desire to procure one or the adapter to hook up a regulator

To qualify the op it needs to be removable to put the keg back into regular service....yes 20 sticks o epoxy would do otherwise

Two sizes of PVC pipe (cut in half lengthwise) fastened together some how and two ratchet straps.

I like the fire extinguisher holder idea, could be made nice and clean. Cheap and dirty? How about a couple large nylon zip ties?

Whatever strap on device you use, make sure it's easily washable. You are likely to get stuff dribbled on it and it will dry and leave a crusty film. Nobody wants to see that. It looks... skanky.

So now that's out of the way, let's discuss your keg needs.

I second the PVC solution. Like lschiavo recommends, get a PVC pipe big enough to hold the tank and strap THAT to the keg. Make sure to put it down at the bottom or the keg will tip over when it gets empty enough.

The giant wire welded cup holder idea holds the most promise. It's looking like the fire extinguisher holder would look the cleanest with the pvc holder being the most economical, but.....neither fasten the co2 tank to the keg with any style.

Combining the two I could weld long ass wire j hooks to the co2 tank "holder" locating it at the bottom of the keg.

I'm open to any and all ideas

Can you disclose a bit more about your intentions with this setup?

What you're essentially saying is, I want to strap a 1000gallon gas tank to my car but I want it to look original equipment. Lol.

For what reason does it need to look so refined? Is this for commercial use? Are you looking for kickstarted ideas?

Trying to figure out the criteria to meet a suitable solution in your eyes. From there we can all rule out various ideas. It seems attachment is less important that aesthetics based upon your comments to the suggestions so far. Is there a reason we are not aware of that aesthetics are a primary concern?

Of course very elaborate, beautiful systems can be made with aesthetics in mind but don't know if you have the fabrication skills amd/or would see it as a worthwhile investment. So a bit more explanation would be useful.

Back