Telescopic Baton

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
Does anyone carry one of these, and does anyone have any specifics about legally carrying one in NC? Casual reading on the internets leads me to believe I can carry it open but not concealed without a CC permit. I would very much appreciate any LEO perspectives.

I have a handgun but it is far too large to carry concealed, and do not want to carry a gun. I am looking for a non-lethal self defense option that I can carry when I am Jogging or walking on trails that are very secluded, or that border not so nice neighborhoods, or Kayaking, or in the car. I don’t like the chemical solutions, and would sort of like something less complicated than a Taser or stun gun. Any thoughts on other options?

As I age I find myself less confident of my ability to get myself out of bad situations. I think it is just paranoia stemming from reading too many newspapers, but I do want to feel confident and secure when I am in a very secluded area.

Thanks

Sorry, Paranoid about that too I guess. I don't put my birthday online. I am in my mid forties.

I was wondering...I popped into this thread because I'm kinda curious as well. I'm mid 40's, but even though I'm 6'7" and big, I did have this heart thing, and I have pace maker now and kinda feel that I'm sorta slipping in that same confidence level that you are. I don't know that I'm at the point where I want to carry anything, but....

I'm not sure about NC, but apparently in PA, 7 year olds can walk around with them in the neighborhood.

Don't take a knife, or worse yet a baton to a gun fight. You'll just piss someone off and end up getting killed. Tasers aren't that complicated and they are lighter than a baton. Plus if u miss you can use it direct contact. If you get one with the red laser dot that can be a deterrent as well.

I carry a revolver. If I need to defend myself then I assume it will be in a situation that I can't beat my way out. Police carry batons to get people to submit when they are resisting. It's an offensive weapon. Not a defensive one.

I just think a baton would make a bad situation worse. People who get attacked these days do so at gunpoint.

Your best defensive tool is your brain, eyes and ears. Learn to practice situational awareness. Keep your eyes and ears open and be aware of what's going on around you. If something doesn't feel right, leave. Even if you're armed, avoiding a situation is much easier than engaging in a fight. There's less paperwork to fill out.

Whatever weapon you do choose to carry for defensive purposes, you need to practice with it. Get professional training if you can, but at least learn how to get it out and ready to use quickly. Learn how to use it when attacked from behind; if someone has already decided to use violence against you they're not going to give you a chance to see them if possible.

Sorry, lecture over.

To answer your original question, I don't think concealed carry is legal in NC. From the North Carolina Rifle and Pisto Association's web site:
Q: Does a NC Concealed Handgun Permit allow me to carry any other weapon, such as a knife, concealed? Is there a Permit available in NC that will allow me to carry a concealed weapon other than a handgun?

A: No. The Concealed Handgun law was written specifically to permit the carrying of concealed Handguns. Carrying of other concealed weapons is illegal, and there is no permit available for other weapons types.
Source.

^thats a messed up law. "yes you are responsible enough to carry a loaded gun. But not a metal stick."

+1 on situational awareness. I forgot to mention that. But have a plan b.

I really don't know if there are laws to limit tastes or not. They may not be considered a weapon since they don't "harm". Technically they are less lethal than a baton.

But they really aren't complicated. They work like a handgun with less moving parts. Safety off point and pull the trigger. And people can't take it from you and kill you with it.

Thanks,

1. I am not considering carrying it concealed, I am considering open carry. Belt pouch or just in my hand when jogging.

2. I agree 100% with situational awareness. I think it is what brought me to the point where I want to carry something when I am alone in a very remote area. At 30 I could have left and few people could have caught me. At 45, it is not the same.

3. I disagree with the knife to a gunfight thing. I do not agree that most people are attacked or harassed with a gun. I think it is more often a threat from physical size or numbers. Some of the areas I go to are very poor and rural. My objective if confronted would be to incapacitate the agressor(s) and leave. Knee, ankle, sternum, testicles, elbow, you get the picture.

4. Taser or stun gun. Definately an option. How durable are they? Can they be dropped on hard surface, or in the water? How would it work if I am dripping with sweat?

They work in the rain. I think they are waterproof. They have a battery and are somewhat mechanical. The are durable within reason. Check out the kind law enforcement uses. Its shaped like a handgun with grip The best thing about them is that they aren't much heavier than a cell phone. And if u were to pull it out people would freak over the laser and YouTube not even need to use it.

I hear defense flashlights are good too.

Double-check on the legality of tasers or stunners. Some places allow stunners but they don't allow tasers because they shoot projectiles. Other places don't even allow stunners. It's not always a matter of state law - some municipalities have more restrictive laws than the state.

A good flashlight, even if it's not designed for defense, is handy in a pinch. At an apartment complex where I used to live we were trying to get a neighborhood watch program started. An officer from the city PD came to explain how it worked and what they'd to to help. Someone expressed worry about people taking their turn on night patrol being unarmed. The cop said that they'd have a police radio and a Maglite, and they weren't supposed to confront intruders, just radio in suspicious activity. But if they were cornered, a flashlight can do a LOT of damage when you're scared.

This won't do you much good for jogging, but when people ask about a home defense device that won't get them in trouble with the law, I remind them that you don't need a permit for a Louisville Slugger.

Dave

OK, for what it is worth, I got a 16” and carry it when I jog. It is illegal to carry concealed in NC, but ok to carry on your belt or in your hand -- No problem. I have practiced with it, and it is a formidable weapon. It is definitely a lethal weapon above the neck. But below the neck you gotta hit something hard or sensitive to even hurt someone… In my opinion. Like I said, I am just looking for something to allow me to get out of a bad situation, and I think this is just the thing.

3. I disagree with the knife to a gunfight thing. I do not agree that most people are attacked or harassed with a gun. I think it is more often a threat from physical size or numbers. Some of the areas I go to are very poor and rural. My objective if confronted would be to incapacitate the agressor(s) and leave. Knee, ankle, sternum, testicles, elbow, you get the picture.

With all due respect, you only need to be wrong one time and you have big problems. Also, you mention a threat from numbers. How well is a baton going to protect you from, say five 25 year-olds with sticks intent on beating you to a pulp or worse? Four attackers? Three? Just because the attacker or attackers do not have guns does not mean that you will be able to protect yourself without one.

Are you likely to ever need a gun to protect yourself? Not likely, but a baton is going to be little comfort if you do.

With all due respect, you only need to be wrong one time and you have big problems. Also, you mention a threat from numbers. How well is a baton going to protect you from, say five 25 year-olds with sticks intent on beating you to a pulp or worse? Four attackers? Three? Just because the attacker or attackers do not have guns does not mean that you will be able to protect yourself without one.

Are you likely to ever need a gun to protect yourself? Not likely, but a baton is going to be little comfort if you do.

I grew up in Chicago... You watch too much TV.

I grew up in Chicago... You watch too much TV.

Apparently they don't teach manners in Chicago. You know nothing about me other than what I wrote in response to your posts and yet you jump right to a personal attack. I merely pointrd out what I believe is a problem with the solution you came up with for a problem you perceived, not one I brought up. I personally could not care less whether you carry a gun, knife, baton or have a howitzer as a personal defense weapon. I think perhaps, though, that if anyone watches too much TV it might be you.

You wrote the following:

"I think it is just paranoia stemming from reading too many newspapers, but I do want to feel confident and secure when I am in a very secluded area."

"I agree 100% with situational awareness. I think it is what brought me to the point where I want to carry something when I am alone in a very remote area."

"I think it is more often a threat from physical size or numbers."

And yet, despite being concerned about being alone in secluded areas and threats from "physical size or numbers," you think that with a stick you are going to "incapacitate the agressor(s) and leave. Knee, ankle, sternum, testicles, elbow, you get the picture." Good luck with that. I honestly hope you never have to rely on using your new baton and, if you do, that you don't end up on the wrong end of it.

I am a security guard in California and I've been asking the laws about it, an from what I've learned ( here at least ) only guards, cops, or MPs can carry a baton/asp.
I have a 26 inch collapsible asp that im waiting in the state to mail me my permit so I can carry it. The best thing I'd do is go by a police station, or find someone who does security guard training and talk to them about it, and batons are meant to be defensive, non lethal weapons, not offensive. They would be used either way though.
Good luck.

Don't hit a joint, groin, kidneys, or head. That is considered deadly force. If you do say you were aiming for somewhere else and the attacker moved mid swing. Yes I am certified with the Asp and the Madnaock version. 15.5 years Air Force cop before I was medically retired.

Back