Techniques for flavor extracts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheier

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For those of you that have made flavor extracts... what is your typical procedure? I'm playing around with a coconut extract, so I threw enough coconut shavings to fill 1/3 of a mason jar, and then filled it up 2/3 with cheap 40% ABV vodka, dropped in a stir bar, then threw it on a stir plate.

I'm not certain how the stir plate will affect the flavor extraction, but I did it on the basis that some sites I looked at said to agitate the mix once a day. I figured if once a day agitation was recommended, surely constant agitation should also be fine right? I am figuring I might be able to pull out some of that coconut flavor quicker. What do you guys think?

I've done fruit extracts this way:

Zest the limes or lemons. Soak the zest in cheap vodka for a week or more.

Filter the zest/vodka through a coffee filter, add at kegging/bottling.

Two large limes make enough extract for a 5 gallon batch of light wheat.

:rockin:

+1 ^^

Agitation shouldn't matter. I soaked some lime zest in some Grey Goose for a batch of Lime-cello, then forgot about it for 4 days. It turned out delicious!!! Set it and forget it.
Want to hear how the coconut-beer turns out!!

I'm trying the coconut beer as as a brown ale, using amber and pale chocolate malts. I tested some of the extract in a Yukon Discovery Honey ESB, and I liked the flavour it contributed. Just too much oils. Wasn't filtered. Ended up leaving a greasy film on the glass when it was done.

Back