Techniques for dropping FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDarcy

Reaction score
Hi All,

Eight days ago, I brewed two beers (extract w specialty grains) on March 12—a Citra pale and an ESB. Now, I know it’s only been 8 days (and I won’t consider racking the beer for at least 2 weeks, total), but I pitched S-04 into each beer and was really surprised by how quickly it took off, and the krausen pretty much rose and fell within a few days. Impressed, I did a little research and learned that S-04 can, indeed, be a beast. I guess I figured fermentation was pretty much over, but I took a gravity reading today and was a little underwhelmed. Again, I know it’s only been 8 days, but…:

Citra Pale
OG: 1.052
Estimated FG: 1.014
Measured gravity today: 1.020

ESB
OG: 1.054
Estimated FG: 1.015
Measured gravity today: 1.021

I use a hydrometer measured in .002 increments, so that 1.021 is my best estimate. Also, both beers have been fermenting at a pretty consistent 18.4C in a water bath with an aquarium heater.

I guess my general question is, what can be done to drop FG a few more points (should it be necessary)? Whether with this beer or others, what techniques should I consider? Raising the fermentation temp a bit? When and for how long? And/or, what about rousing the yeast? How and when?

In hindsight, I probably pitched the S-04 a bit sooner than I should have on both beers, at about 68F or so. Could that be the problem? I can always improve my technique, of course. I dunno. I guess I’m just feeling that ALL my beers never quite ferment as well as I hope, though it's usually within .005 points. Maybe it’s my software (BeerSmith) and/or my equipment profiles or something. Maybe it’s my hydrometer?

Thanks for any advice!

You can always raise them temp and stir the yeast up off the bottom. You could also dissolve a bit of dextrose in the wort, itll bump up the abv but it should also kick start fermentation again, possibly lowering the FG.

But mostly it depends on the fermentability of your wort. So it depends on if it was extract or all grain. And if it was all grain what your mash temp was? Your attenuation is only at like 60% and that yeast should be about 75% or so.

By racking the beer do you mean rack to secondary or to bottle? Don't secondary, no need.

Extract is known to stop at 1.02. You can give it a little shake to get yeast into suspension again. Or try raising the temp to high 60s. Though if I had to guess I would say it is close to done. I wouldn't worry about it finishing at those readings though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Hello, extract batches always seem to have higher FG readings than estimated FGs, you really don't want to keep opening your fermenters during fermentation, on your beers wait for 12 days then take a hydro reading, then at 14 take another, if they are the same your good to go most of the time, some yeast do stick, with your beers and yeast you are using I don't think this is the case.

I don't know what 18.4c converts to, but generally you ferment at the low end of the yeast manufactures recommendation, most of the time that is 65F.

To get a few more points after 7 days you can raise the temp to 70F to help speed everything along.

And just a FYI, I have found that getting your beer off the yeast quicker will actually slow down the conditioning process.

Hope this helps

Cheers :mug:

By racking the beer do you mean rack to secondary or to bottle? Don't secondary, no need.

Extract is known to stop at 1.02. You can give it a little shake to get yeast into suspension again. Or try raising the temp to high 60s. Though if I had to guess I would say it is close to done. I wouldn't worry about it finishing at those readings though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

You can check the hydrometer in plain water to see if it reads 1.000, if there is a difference you just adjust your readings.

One thing I found is to make sure you have good aeration before pitching. Vigorous shaking worked at first, I found air stone works better for me.

Pitch and shake the crap out of your fermenter next time, like 5 minutes. Repeat again in a half hour. I think you might see a difference.

:mug:

Back